vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US counties map

Default US counties map

The folks at GSAk are playing with a US map that shows all the counties. Previously, there were county maps for individual states and a US map of just the states. Looking at the map of my state finds, it looks fairly impressive. As soon as I loaded my finds into the counties map, it's looking pretty pitiful! I guess I'd better get moving!

It's funny on the county map, you can see the loop we drove when we took a trip south last year.

Macro requires GSAK version 7.7.3.18
    Discussion on the macro can be found here: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=15976

Last edited by brdad; 08-24-2010 at 07:32 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Cool map, but you are right, that nice red fill thins out quickly!
    Funny, my southern "loop" looks a lot like yours
    (And we even have the same one in Il. (O'Hare, right?)

I downloaded and ran the new macro after updating GSAK to the latest version and then ran FindStatsGen. It is not reporting all of my finds. I have counties missing in Maine, NY, NJ and NH so something is not right here.

It is an interesting map!
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Cool map, but you are right, that nice red fill thins out quickly!
    Funny, my southern "loop" looks a lot like yours
    (And we even have the same one in Il. (O'Hare, right?)
    Yes, probably one of the few caches INSIDE an airport! Glad we chose the right airline.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    I downloaded and ran the new macro after updating GSAK to the latest version and then ran FindStatsGen. It is not reporting all of my finds. I have counties missing in Maine, NY, NJ and NH so something is not right here.

It is an interesting map!
    It worked fine on my laptop, but I tried it on my desktop and got an error. So I uninstalled the macro, then downloaded and ran the latest findstats beta (http://gsak.net/board/index.php?show...0&#entry111564), reinstalled the macro and the it ran fine.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I use the counties for Maine on Findstatsgen but I have always thought it would be cool to have something that showed totals by city. Anyone ever seen anything like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    I use the counties for Maine on Findstatsgen but I have always thought it would be cool to have something that showed totals by city. Anyone ever seen anything like that?
    I was toying with a macro for Maine cities, but there were two major shortcomings. Firstly, many urban areas were divided up by neighborhoods, and even rural areas had some weird divisions. Secondly, I realized that the ares listed were not necessarily the areas the cache was in, but the center of the area the cache was closest to. For example, a cache near the north border of China may be listed as Albion because it was closer to the center of Albion than it is to the center of China. I found doing it by zip code had the same issue. If there was a database of the borders for all Maine towns and cities it would be easy. If you want a very close guess on one or a few towns or cities, that is easy with GSAK and it's polygon drawing tool. It took me about 3 minutes to filter GSAK to China, revealing 54 active caches out of 58 ever hidden there. But all Maine towns and cities - a lot of work, unless we get 25 of our members to each get the boundaries of 15 or 20 towns!

My thread titled Most caches in a given town explains my messed up findings on the city/town data a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GSAK polygon.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	394.8 KB 
ID:	514  
    Last edited by brdad; 08-24-2010 at 10:45 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

It may be worth the effort if we could share it back to GSAK and other cachers from Maine could use it. If you are going to the Cache Bashe we could kick around the idea some more there.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-25-2010 at 02:07 PM.

I have been experimenting further with the counties map and I still am not getting all of my finds to show. I still have holes in Maine (I know for certain I have all the counties in Maine) and a lot of my early stuff from NY and NJ. I will have to try it on my laptop.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    It may be worth the effort if we could share it back to GSAK and other cachers from Maine could use it. If you are going to the Cache Bashe we could kick around the idea some more there.
    It's funny, I joked about it in the GSAk forums, but maybe we could make it happen. I'll do a bit of research. if we went through the trouble, I'd prefer the data was in the same format as the find stats maps.

We really hope to make the Cashe Bashe.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    I have been experimenting further with the counties map and I still am not getting all of my finds to show. I still have holes in Maine (I know for certain I have all the counties in Maine) and a lot of my early stuff from NY and NJ. I will have to try it on my laptop.
    You may want to let them know in the GSAk thread so if the issue is on their end they can fix it. And, you'll know if it's on your end.

I do have one thought - If it is not already, make the county column visible in the GSAK window, then sort it and scroll through it to see if all your caches are populated with the county data.

If not, you may need to add "YB" to the County update section of the GPX load screen.

Incidentally, this is where the YB comes from:
    U = update user data

2 = update user data 2

Y = update county

B = only update if blank

F = set user flag, but only if updated

R = set user flag regardless

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gpxload.jpg 
Views:	344 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	515  
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!