vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Thought That This Game Wasn't About Numbers....

Default I Thought That This Game Wasn't About Numbers....

After thinking about recent issues here on the Forum, including the administrator Brdad..... why does this category for posts exist, if many of you including the powers at be, think that numbers do not matter?

It all depends on how you look at it. This is a community of cachers with different interests. Because a person doesn't like something doesn't mean it can't be on the site.

I don't like number runs. Haven't done out yet.

You didn't complain when people were sending you good wishes and congratulations on your numbers.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Many people do consider this game to have a "numbers" aspect. I've done numbers runs and really enjoyed them. I also like spending a day hiking for one really cool cache.

For some people that may have disabilities, heavy workloads or difficult family situations, passing 100 may be quite an accomplishment that should be celebrated here.

I did the Stud Mill Road "numbers" run just to know that I could do 100 in a day.... actually in less than 12 hours....and was done with it. After that, I have no interest. I went down to the car series, did half and then drove away. Some day I'll go back. Sudonim said the rest, quite accurately. All my cache finds will be at my pace, and hear me at that.... MY pace. I've seen other cache runs in Maine, other cache runs in other states, and have only minor interest. Those/your cache numbers runs I'll get to, only if something else draws me there, like a state-wide meeting nearby, etc.

It's not about THE numbers, it's about MY numbers!

The game does have a numbers aspect. There is not much in our world that does not. Find two kids, give each an ice cream cone, and at least one will want to race to see who can finish it first. The question is who really wins - the kid who eats it in 15 seconds or the kid who takes 5 minutes to enjoy it? And - which kid presents himself to onlookers as having the best experience? The answer is debatable, as it is in caching. Personally, I prefer a 4.5 minute ice cream.

One issue I take with numbers is that they are not comparable. I have paddled 7 miles each way for a 1.5 terrain cache, and I have walked 1/2 mile to a 5 terrain cache. I have found high difficulty caches in seconds, and I have looked hours for a cache rated a 1 difficulty. For this reason I will never look down on cachers with few finds nor will I look up to cachers with 10,000 finds based on their numbers. In reality, I'd have a hard job guessing how many finds any cacher has, most of the time I do not know my own numbers.

I have other opinions about the numbers and milestones as well, but I'll leave that to a forum search for those interested.

Regarding the forum and it's categories: I didn't create them, nor do I think it is my place to edit them unless there is immediate need.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-25-2010 at 07:22 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Smile

Has anyone checked on MY numbers lately? Does anyone really care? I can't say it matters much to me what all of you have for numbers, but if you are having a good time at doing whatever you are doing, that matters to me more. Its nice to have an incentive to get you off the couch, but some people do have much more available time than others to cache, so how can you compare?
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."

I agree with waterski. I have personal goals set for myself which have nothing to do with anyone else who caches. For instance, I would like to reach 400 by the end of the summer (which I will!) but I don't care if I have found more caches than dubord, brdad or whoever.

Default 400

Quote Originally Posted by ltlindian View Post
    I agree with waterski. I have personal goals set for myself which have nothing to do with anyone else who caches. For instance, I would like to reach 400 by the end of the summer (which I will!) but I don't care if I have found more caches than dubord, brdad or whoever.
    JustPJ66 and I are stalled at 396 while I fight off this infection in my arm but we're pretty sure we'll get the 4 we need to reach 400. We're looking to do "The Official Milestone Cache" for our 400th but that will be a while from now. Elbow is better but not ready for caching.

It really stinks when the rest of you feels fine and you're restricted from doing anything because of your right elbow and forearm.

that's funny! I'm at 396 as well! Hope to finish it off this weekend. I haven't done any at Reid State Park yet, so I'm hoping to bribe the family to go there on sat or sun! If not, then I'll just grab a few by myself to reach the goal.

I forgot to add--please feel better soon!