vb:literal>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Not in Maine, but Worthy Nonetheless!

I would guess they'd also want to know why the hell the vehicle seemed to stop at every guardrail it passed...
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Lol
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    if the law ever required me to have something like this, I would never own another vehicle....
    Everybody calm down!

Device will not send any information without your knowledge or consent (except when collision is detected) so nobody will be able to track you.

Communication standard will be open and anybody will be able to implement their version of the device. If you don't trust manufacturer of your device, you can build your own.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Did you read the recent controversy? An agency that gives out car loans wants to make it mandatory that all cars have one of these devices. Their thinking is: they'll know where to send the repo guy if the loanee stops making payments.......
    I love this idea. That's cool.

I also heard another reason was that they wanted to track the habits of "high risk" loans so they would know wether or not they should give them a loan for the vehicle...
    Ummm, unless they stole my time travel device, this would be a little hard.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Everybody calm down!

Device will not send any information without your knowledge or consent (except when collision is detected) so nobody will be able to track you.

Communication standard will be open and anybody will be able to implement their version of the device. If you don't trust manufacturer of your device, you can build your own.
    Besides that I can break and by pass anything. Like most things even the security keys for cars. If you don't want to pay big bucks to get a special key made for your car, it only takes three wires to bypass it.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Everybody calm down!

I still wouldn't trust it. The way technology goes nowadays, just about anything can be done. And about 90% we have no clue about.

So who's to say someone can't hack the system or just push a button and poof there you are...

I feel the same way about most technology, especially cell phones. I didn't need one before, so why do I need one now? I get along just fine without.
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I still wouldn't trust it. The way technology goes nowadays, just about anything can be done. And about 90% we have no clue about.
    If you don't trust the device, you can build your own as I explained before.

So who's to say someone can't hack the system
    I do. Hacking this system will not be any easier that hacking any other system your security depends on it right now.

or just push a button and poof there you are...
    so don't take people who would push a buttons in your car. If somebody can get near your car they can as well attach a magnetic tracking device under it, no need to bother with hacking.

I feel the same way about most technology, especially cell phones. I didn't need one before, so why do I need one now? I get along just fine without.
    then dig a cave and live there. Don't use internet, phones, car, credit cards, anything... because you didn't need any of these before.

If you are afraid about your privacy while having a cellphone on you, you can still remove the battery. Unless you have an iShit, LOL.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Besides that I can break and by pass anything. Like most things even the security keys for cars. If you don't want to pay big bucks to get a special key made for your car, it only takes three wires to bypass it.
    That's WAY old school. Anything in the last 10 years with the transponder key can't be bypassed. You can buy an interface to simulate it, but the new cars (Ford and Toyota 2010+) are running 80 bit encryption on the transponders. Fuel pump won't work if the key is wrong. If there was a bypass available, trust me, I would be using it. I install several hundred remote car starters per winter and the transponder interface adds about 30% to the customers bill

If you don't trust the device, you can build your own as I explained before.

I do. Hacking this system will not be any easier that hacking any other system your security depends on it right now.

so don't take people who would push a buttons in your car. If somebody can get near your car they can as well attach a magnetic tracking device under it, no need to bother with hacking.

then dig a cave and live there. Don't use internet, phones, car, credit cards, anything... because you didn't need any of these before.

If you are afraid about your privacy while having a cellphone on you, you can still remove the battery. Unless you have an iShit, LOL.

lol, so no matter what I'm screwed. So I just won't pay $$ for that stuff, that cave thing does sound like a good idea...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

lol, so no matter what I'm screwed. So I just won't pay $$ for that stuff, that cave thing does sound like a good idea...
    once you have this communication device in your car I could be used for different things. To get sensor reading from your car like temperature or mileage using the Internet. (mileage would be helpful when I do my registration over the Internet and I have to go to the car just to read it. Not anymore with this device) You could start your car remotely and cool it down or warm it up from the Internet or control any other accessories.
    I installed remote starter to my car for $300 and only what it does is starts my car. This device would be cheaper and more universal. Also your car insurance would go down, since it would be easier to retrieve your car when stolen. So in a long term you would save money by having this in your car.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    That's WAY old school. Anything in the last 10 years with the transponder key can't be bypassed. You can buy an interface to simulate it, but the new cars (Ford and Toyota 2010+) are running 80 bit encryption on the transponders. Fuel pump won't work if the key is wrong. If there was a bypass available, trust me, I would be using it. I install several hundred remote car starters per winter and the transponder interface adds about 30% to the customers bill
    I dont know what your trying to preserve in that electronic mess. You loose some of the fancy stuff that people didn't want in the first place. I just shorted out a 2011. It runs good. No fancy fuel mileage calculator, indicators for some other stuff and the computer goes crazy when you hok it up to check things. But $5 as apposed to $1000 was worth in.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.