Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37

Thread: Not in Maine, but Worthy Nonetheless!

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Every car should be equipped with similar device by law. Something like OnStar except using satellites like SPOT. When car detects collision it will automatically send SOS signal with your position or you can call for help by yourself or you can track your lost or stolen car.

    if the law ever required me to have something like this, I would never own another vehicle....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,573

    Wink You drive one now...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    if the law ever required me to have something like this, I would never own another vehicle....
    Monday through Friday at least....
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  3. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Monday through Friday at least....
    there's a difference between being forced to have one, and being willing to have one for a paycheck...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,573

    Thumbs down That's the truth

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    there's a difference between being forced to have one, and being willing to have one for a paycheck...
    I know with my former cache mobile, when I used the Onstar they knew EXACTY where I was. That was more than a bit creepy.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    I called Onstar one time to show my buddies how it works. We were ice fishing and our trucks were all parked in the middle of China Lake. The Onstar operator hesitated at first when I asked her where I was, but she finally said " There might be a slight satellite issue as I show you in the middle of China Lake!" Technology...big Brother's watching!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orrington, Maine
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Did you read the recent controversy? An agency that gives out car loans wants to make it mandatory that all cars have one of these devices. Their thinking is: they'll know where to send the repo guy if the loanee stops making payments.......

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default Admit it

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I called Onstar one time to show my buddies how it works. We were ice fishing and our trucks were all parked in the middle of China Lake. The Onstar operator hesitated at first when I asked her where I was, but she finally said " There might be a slight satellite issue as I show you in the middle of China Lake!" Technology...big Brother's watching!
    You did that on purpose to confuse the Onstar operator. I'll bet you were grinning during the whole conversation.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Did you read the recent controversy? An agency that gives out car loans wants to make it mandatory that all cars have one of these devices. Their thinking is: they'll know where to send the repo guy if the loanee stops making payments.......
    I also heard another reason was that they wanted to track the habits of "high risk" loans so they would know wether or not they should give them a loan for the vehicle...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, ME
    Posts
    631

    Default

    just think of the potiential information that could be sold to companies about you and your shopping and stopping habits...do they go to McDonalds or Burgerking more, Do they go to the mall or shop downtown, how many trips to the grocery store do they make in a week, where do they bank....scary to think about
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Belgrade, Maine
    Posts
    953

    Default And if.....

    Quote Originally Posted by JustPJ66 View Post
    just think of the potiential information that could be sold to companies about you and your shopping and stopping habits...do they go to McDonalds or Burgerking more, Do they go to the mall or shop downtown, how many trips to the grocery store do they make in a week, where do they bank....scary to think about
    They hide a camera in the dash somewhere showing what you do as you get there they'd see 75 - 99% of today's drivers trying to be creative about how they pick their nose.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •