vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I've Got the Itch...

Default I've Got the Itch...

...for a new GPS receiver. I'm looking seriously at the Garmin GPS Map 62s. does anyone have one of these? Any comments?

I've heard some people say they like them in the national chat. But why not have an Oregon just a few more bucks? I'm not sure how much I care for the touch screen (Though Lee would like the world to be touchscreen!), but the screen size is considerably more which would be a draw for me - 240 x 400 pixels as opposed to 160 x 240 pixels. The 62 does have more built in memory, but the Oregon has a data card slot.

We're going to have to buy news one in the future too, so we are looking, but right now is not the time.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Oregon 400t! We like ours!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Me too!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Oregon 400t! We like ours!
    My Oregon 400 coupled with some GSAK macros have made my cache loading and logging very easy. My new hides have been reported as very accurate coords. And I seem to be finding caches just fine.
    Happy Trails!

How many caches can you put on the Oregon?

Sheesh! I'm getting old, and I like "the familiar". The GPSMap 62 is so much like the GPSMap 60csx I'm used to...

From what I've gathered, all Garmins labeled "geocaching friendly" can store 5000 caches. And you could always add more as POIs. I wish they were more clear in listing their capabilities.

Here is Garmin's page comparing the Oregon® 450 to the GPSMAP® 62.

You can also download the manuals to look at to help decide what features you may or may not like.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-28-2010 at 07:24 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    From what I've gathered, all Garmins labeled "geocaching friendly" can store 5000 caches. And you could always add more as POIs. I wish they were more clear in their capabilities.

Here is Garmin's page comparing the Oregon® 450 to the GPSMAP® 62.
    Both the Oregon and the 62 will hold 2,000 geocaches.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Both the Oregon and the 62 will hold 2,000 geocaches.
    I believe that is 2000 waypoints, which have a different place in memory than caches.
    I think you can also store caches on the card, someone can help explain if you need to load them onto the unit or not first....
    Last edited by brdad; 08-28-2010 at 07:32 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Here is a section on this page of Garmin's web site:

Go Paperless

Some of our more popular outdoor devices support paperless geocaching – allowing you to send locations directly to the unit without having to manually enter your coordinates. With paperless geocaching, you’ll have cache descriptions, ratings, and recent log info stored directly on your device – so there’s no need to take paper printouts along with you. All you need is a premium account1 at geocaching.com and a compatible handheld device. As an added benefit, you can store up to 5,000 caches and their descriptions, hints and recent attempts directly on your Garmin handheld – saving time and resources. It’s another great way to help you log more caches in less time!
    I also noticed in a review that there is a 200 GPX file limit, which would only be a concern to those downloading caches one by one and loading them individually.

As I said before, they could explain things more clearly!

Found this tidbit, not sure if it is correct or not. Taken from http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Geocaching#HowTo

GC4.) How many geocaches can I load onto my Garmin Oregon?

The Oregon 300 and 400 support up to a maximum of 2000 geocaches (in addition to the 1000 waypoint limit). The Oregon 450 and 550 support up to 5000 geocaches. All Oregons support a maximum of 200 gpx files. If you exceed either the geocache limit or the file limit the Oregon will warn you. If you exceed either limit, caches will be omitted from your Geocache list and it is not predicable as to which caches will be dropped.

############################3

GC6.) Does the Garmin Oregon have a gpx file size limit?

Yes. If the total size of all gpx files exceeds 8MB-10MB the Oregon may fail to display some or all of the geocaches that these files contain. The exact limit has not been characterized yet. Typically, if you use PQs this limit will never become a factor because PQs only contain 5 logs per cache keeping the file sizes smaller. However, if you use GSAK and do not limit the number of logs to 5 you can end up with very large gpx files that will cause this problem.

Verify: Needs verification -- I've heard reports of people using much larger files on the x50.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-28-2010 at 08:00 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Mainiac1957 has helped me with the techno learning curve for my Oregon but I am loading more than 4000 caches from GSAK. Love mine and happy I made the switch. Still asking for help on occasion and happy the guru (named above) is still willing to help.