vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I've Got the Itch...

A few fellow NY cachers have the 62st and have written their comments.

go to http://www.geocachingny.org/

then FORUMS , and TECH TALK, GPSMAP 62st

A house is not a home without a cat.

the oregon 450 and the 62s hold 5000 caches. The Oregon 400, 300 etc series hold 2000.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Not sure about the 62, but I've noticed that the GPSMap 60csx with the outside antenna seems to do better in the woods that our Oregon. The Oregon has a hard time updating in thick woods.
    Never argue with an idiot, they’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience.
    Click here to see my album, "Pictures Don't Lie!"

I like my 450, thought I'd want the 450t but I really don't think the topo map is all that important for the way we geocache. Neither one of the GPS's we use, my 450 or Pam's eTrex Venture like the thick woods. Pam loves hers and I love the paperless on mine....except it seems Pam has a knack for asking me questions that can only be answered on one screen and I'm usually not on that screen when she asks.

Default Learning curve

I will say that there will be a period of learning if you choose the Oregon. The 62 will do much of what the Oregon does minus the touch screen. Yes, as Dick pointed out the difference with the Oregon is in the series number. If it's a x00 then it hold up to 2000 geocaches, where a x50 it will hold up to 5000. When I went to Washington for Geowoodstock I only had to load my GPS once for the entire trip. That was all I wanted for Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia. That was a huge advantage. The only other item I question is whether the 62 does field notes. I use that feature on mine. It may not matter to you. If you come to the cache bashe and are still undecided check mine or someone else's there.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    I like my 450, thought I'd want the 450t but I really don't think the topo map is all that important for the way we geocache.
    I am the same way there, in fact I find that you can download your own maps into the unit more appealing than having standard maps in it. Having detailed maps of places like the Bangor city forest loaded in would be great when you are in those areas so you can find the correct foot trail.

In fact, I bet having a database of custom maps of parks and trail systems in an article on this site would be a nice addition to the site and an asset to members who have GPSrs which can use them. It appears to be a fairly simple process to create the maps.
    Last edited by brdad; 08-29-2010 at 06:56 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

What macro to you use to get the caches you've found off the Oregon and into geocaching.com? I still have to manually retrieve the GC codes to log.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    My Oregon 400 coupled with some GSAK macros have made my cache loading and logging very easy. My new hides have been reported as very accurate coords. And I seem to be finding caches just fine.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

FieldNotesImportandLogBeta.gsk is the one I use for logging. There are several steps involved but it works nicely.

The 62 series does do the field notes as well.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I've always been impressed with the reception on the 60csx - the only time we've lost reception is when we go through a tunnel - which is one reason I'm leaning towards the 62csx with the "quad-helix" antenna.

Default Been looking as well....

I have been considering upgrading from the GPSMap 60 to one of the Oregon's based on comments from other cachers as well reports here. The biggest draw for me is capacity of caches and the paperless feature, which I now use my BlackBerry for. However, I'm very happy with the 60 and would like to stay with it....hence now considering the 62. Then there's the slight worry in the back of my mind about newly-released products and the concern of "undiscovered" bugs.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.