vb:literal>

Thread: Help w/ loading waypoints to ForeTrex 101

Default Help w/ loading waypoints to ForeTrex 101

Greetings all,

I've just gotten my new ForeTrex 101 GPSr and i am trying to upload the waypoints I have downloaded from geocaching.com.

I have the premium membership so I get the .gpx file option. But I get an error from both gsak and easygps when I try to upload to the unit. I'm hoping I don't need to spend another $30.00 and buy the Mapsource software from Garmin.

Help!

Faolan

I'm not familiar with that GPSR, but here are a couple of suggestions to common problems:

1. Make sure your GPS is ON when you try and transfer.

2. Make sure your GPS and software (EasyGPS) are set to the right interface, i.e., Garmin, not NMEA.

Other people will probably come along with better advice, but this will give you a start.

d’76 Guest

Try using a different Internet service provider.

When I was first starting out I was using MSN. MSN didn't support .gpx files. I went to Internet Explorer and everything worked just fine.

Good Luck

Dave

I have had problems uploading to my ETREX at times too. Then another cacher told me to be sure that the port was set correctly AND WAS FREE. What I found was that as long as the data exchange icon for uploading to the PALM was active, even though it was not being used, that GSAK would not upload to the GPS. Closing the program that uploaded to the PALM solved the problem.

A house is not a home without a cat.

wbdent I have an etrex and when I first got it I also had some of these problems. I found out that it was a couple of things for me. Ihad to make sure I had my cable hooked up good. I can not speak for the type of cable yours uses. But I had to take and earaser to my contacts on my GPS unit. I also have to set up my GPS to recieve data. I had to go into my Setting under SETTINGS and INTERFACE and set it to GARMIN. Then it worked. But yours may be a little different.
    Blazing Troll

Talking Solved the problem!

After reading the Garmin FAQ and running some suggested tests on the ports, I figured out the cable connection on the GPSr end was a little loose. I was finally able to load 125 waypoints to the unit.

The Hunt begins this weekend!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    by the deep sea, and music in its roar;
    I love not man less, but Nature more.
    ~Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Faolan
    After reading the Garmin FAQ and running some suggested tests on the ports, I figured out the cable connection on the GPSr end was a little loose. I was finally able to load 125 waypoints to the unit.

The Hunt begins this weekend!
    Why wait for the weekend? You should be able to get the "The Pound" during the commercial break in the 6:00 news! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Why wait for the weekend? You should be able to get the "The Pound" during the commercial break in the 6:00 news! LOL!
    I could at that, right after I feed the horses even!
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods;
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore;
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    by the deep sea, and music in its roar;
    I love not man less, but Nature more.
    ~Lord Byron