vb:literal>

Thread: Gortex question

Default Gortex question

Hey does anyone have any experience using the gortex gaiters? My wife and I are trying to get ready for the rainy caching season and we both have some gaiters that are in serious need of replacement. Our old gaiters were just regular pairs, but I have heard a lot of good things about the gortex version, but have never used them myself. I'm just wondering if they are worth the extra 30 or 40 dollars? Thanks everyone! Happy caching!

Default Gortex Gaiters

We have these and they are the cat's meow. I have found, however, that gortex isn't necessarily forever. Whatever you do, don't wash them even if they get muddy. My experience with gortex is that as soon as you wash it, the water-repelling feature is gone.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    My experience with gortex is that as soon as you wash it, the water-repelling feature is gone.
    This is one subject I know NOTHING about, but I found it humorous that the best way to care for a waterproof (or water resistant) object was to basically not put water on it! Anyway, it got me thinking (I may be in the market for some someday) so I did a quick Google search. Have you ever tried drying them in a heated dryer after you have washed them?

Taken from: http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satel...g-instructions

WASH
    Machine-wash warm (104° F/40° C). Powder or liquid detergent. No fabric softener. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
    DRY CLEAN
    If professionally dry-cleaned, request clear distilled solvent rinse and spray repellent. Follow manufacturer's instructions.
    IRON
    Steam-iron warm, placing a towel or cloth between the garment and the iron. No need to iron the garment until it is completely dry.
    BLEACH
    No chlorine bleach. It may damage your garment.
    DRY
    Tumble-dry warm. The heat from the dryer will help to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on your garment's outer fabric.
    WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT
    Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments as they can affect the garment's breathability.
    STAIN REMOVAL
    Use a pre-wash treatment such as Shout® or Spray 'n Wash®, following its manufacturer's instructions. Rinse well.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-01-2010 at 04:39 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I hope FFJ chimes in on this one. I have been through about 5 pairs of gortex snowmobile coveralls in the last 20 years. I know the manufacture lists the instructions as quoted, but trust me, I have tried all of that and it won't work and will likely ruin the gortex. Sheesh, with the heat the topics are getting a little dry!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Years ago, one of my uncles bought a pair of gortex jeans from LL Bean. He said they were fantastic. Claimed he could sit in a puddle of water and not get wet. His only complaint, at that time, was how noisy they were in the woods. He got them for hunting, not geocaching. Considering GPS's weren't available at the time....at least not affordably....I guess we can forgive him for not getting them just to cache in.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    . Sheesh, with the heat the topics are getting a little dry!
    You'd think the beer thread would be busier, discussing best way to chill the stuff, and how to clear out enough room in the fridge to sit on the bottom shelf while consuming it!

Thumbs up Eastern Mountain Sports

why throw them away when you can make them like new again. Try this....

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664547
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    why throw them away when you can make them like new again. Try this....

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3664547
    That's an interesting product. Thanks for sharing. Do you or any others have experience with using it?

Smile

We go on long trips by bike. Last year we had 18 days of rain going across Canada and our gear was GTX that had been done twice before with the stuff. It is a bit on the expensive side but your stuff looks like new and work just as when you first got it. We did it again before we headed out this summer but never had to use the stuff. Planning to cross the rock in a couple of weeks during harvest with the same stuff. You can find it in both Epic Sport and the Ski Rack in Bangor. Small bottle does one suit. Make sure your stuff is wet and then soak it with the spray toss it in the dry. When it comes out you will be sold.
    We hate mindless caches placed in the woods without a reason, nothing but the cache in a plastic bag on a tree.