vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aroostook County Extreme Caching Hiram Style - Old Beave Dam

Thumbs up Aroostook County Extreme Caching Hiram Style - Old Beave Dam

Can't help but share this, as it is a tale of a missing cache, an event which was a ton of fun, an extreme approach to making a find and a decision to make on what to do about a cache. So - with that said, here is the story.

Last weekend, I attended the GC2B02N - Tread Lightly: ORCAs on ATVs ..... Second Attempt event. I believe I was the oldest in the POD.

We did a cache the first day and then on Sunday - we went on a long ride and did a lot more caches. One, which was on the list, was GCWGAK - Old Beaver Dam. We all arrived at the site and concluded the same spot based on the coords. After reading some other logs we also concluded the cache was out in the water.

Not seeing the container - which sounded like it would stand out - we were a bit "stumped". The next thing we knew - bgrffdave was in the water - wading out in his Muck boots and trying to reach Ground Zero. When it became apparent that could not happen with the depth of water - Hiram bailed in...........and showed us what extreme caching really is.

Fortunately, our Aroostook County Guide Roger - had a video camera and filmed it all...........he is posting (as quickly as he can - there are 4 other films clips I believe) to YouTube. I am attaching the links to the first two.

For your viewing pleasure - Hiram357 Extreme Caching the Beaver Dam - Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvsgttaoBxs & Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWk-25oWNZ0

You will eventually see we did find/recover the container on the face of the dam. It was chewed, full of water and the contents were waterlogged pulp. Therein lied the question - what to do with the severely damaged cache. We decided as a group to CITO it out and notify the owner it needed replacement or archived. Although not what one would do usually - this was what we all believed should be done in this unusual circumstance.

As soon as the other videos are available they will be posted.

In some strange, weird, twisted way, that looked like a lot of fun. I have not yet waded out to my hips to find a cache. Yet, that is. Definitely a reason to keep at least a dry pair of shoes handy for these kinds of caches.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    In some strange, weird, twisted way, that looked like a lot of fun. I have not yet waded out to my hips to find a cache. Yet, that is. Definitely a reason to keep at least a dry pair of shoes handy for these kinds of caches.
    Oh it was fun . . . for those of us who stayed on dry land!

Great memories were made on this trip . . . I mean who can forget Dutch Oven Apple Baseball?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    ...Dutch Oven Apple Baseball?
    I'm almost afraid to ask.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I hope somebody sent the cache owner an email because he hasn't been to GC.com in over a year.

Perhaps one of the finders could post a "Needs Archiving" on the cache page since it is no longer there.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Native Mainer: It's one of those things you have to see to believe . . . on our ATV Club Facebook page I have a video which pretty much shows one of our ATV member's sons pitching green apples as hard as he can at Hiram . . . and Hiram deflecting the apples with his Dutch Oven which in the process turns the apples into smush.

Sabby: I believe I put a Needs Mtn. note on the page for future cachers . . . and in case the cacher opts to put out a new cache in the same location . . . figured it would be a "nicer" way of giving the cache owner the option of replacing the cache and even though he hasn't been to gc.com in a year he should still be receiving the automatic e-mails for the log entries as the cache owner.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Sabby View Post
    I hope somebody sent the cache owner an email because he hasn't been to GC.com in over a year.

Perhaps one of the finders could post a "Needs Archiving" on the cache page since it is no longer there.
    I did send the CO and email. Lacking them logging on the NA will be done.

In some strange, weird, twisted way, that looked like a lot of fun...
    I just watched parts 3-6. My statement still stands.

I just watched parts 3-6. My statement still stands.
    It would have been fun even if I had waded in but somehow, 20+ years older than these youngstahs........I left it to them and just read the cache page, hooted a lot and plotted the coords. Just happy they made me part of the team!