vb:literal>

Thread: Gsak

Default Gsak

Okay, I've been using GSAK for years and have always had the names of the caches show up on the etrex GPS unit when I downloaded the caches from GSAK. Well, now it just shows GC number or C1 numbers. How can I get back to names showing?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    Okay, I've been using GSAK for years and have always had the names of the caches show up on the etrex GPS unit when I downloaded the caches from GSAK. Well, now it just shows GC number or C1 numbers. How can I get back to names showing?
    Can't tell you how to change back, but if you're a "paperless cacher" - using a PDA as well as the GPSr - why don't you leave the GC numbers and see if you like it better. We've found that it is A LOT easier to find a cache on the PDA using the GC numbers rather than the actual cache name.

The cache name on the GPSr and on the PDA are often different (leaving out "the", for example). The GC number will be the same on each. And once you've found the GC number, you can easily check the cache name on the PDA.

Default I do both

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Can't tell you how to change back, but if you're a "paperless cacher" - using a PDA as well as the GPSr - why don't you leave the GC numbers and see if you like it better. We've found that it is A LOT easier to find a cache on the PDA using the GC numbers rather than the actual cache name.

The cache name on the GPSr and on the PDA are often different (leaving out "the", for example). The GC number will be the same on each. And once you've found the GC number, you can easily check the cache name on the PDA.

I've done it both ways and will be using a Oregon 400t when I do the Stud Mill Rd this weekend. Jon will be using the etrex. I think it would be to his best interest if he were compatible with Tom's and my unit. I know better than to assume he has all the caches in his GPSr. Sometimes a cache won't download into the unit if it has the first five numbers the same.

Default Use defaults

After much searching and pressing buttons that I had no business pressing, I got the GSAK to do what I wanted it to do. I used the "use default" button. Geesh, I am the smartest girl in this room!

Default I reccomend....

When you do export to a GPSr using the GC code that you enter %drop2 in the waypoint name box. This way it shortens the listing by removing the first "GC" in the GPSr and breaks them up so they don't all start with the same letters.

So instead of GC124, GCByKP3, GC1WD8Y.... You get 124, ByKP3, 1WD8Y.

Of course, this means you have to uncheck the "use defaults" button that fixed your problem!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	drop2.JPG 
Views:	304 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	517  
    Last edited by brdad; 09-03-2010 at 04:13 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Thanks

Thanks BRdad. This is slowly making sense to me.