vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunting

Just in case anyone missed this back when I posted it about a year ago...

DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Most of those caches are in what is known as multiple use areas. Geocachers need to be mindful of others just as the others need to be mindful of others.

I find the remarks made by the "Guide" to be a bit disturbing. He was not being forthright or honest with you. Most guides I have met or know are very mindful of others who are in the area. If he has his clients that close to the road he should consider moving them back just a bit. Most bear baiting stations I have seen (and I have seen a bunch of them over the years) are well back from any of the "Main Road" areas. They are usually in "dead end" areas as well as places that most regular vehicles would have a tough time getting to.

Being a hunter I have had many meetings with folks that I did not expect to be there, but I always felt they were as justified as I as they did their thing.
    When someone pays big bucks to hunt and the land is leased for this reason, it is up to them where and when they place a stand or station not us. It is also very bad form to be out in any area screwing around hollering back and forth. Another part of the story that people are missing is that these people were 1/2 mile from where they should have been at best.

It is not up to the people making a living out there to be mindful of anything except what they paid to do. Muti use or anything else you want to call it. Non of these people had a clue, where way off course and disturbing others.

The people that own the land can and will shut down caching for everyone. All they ask right now is the warning to be added to the pages.

Why is this so hard for everyone to understand? They have every right to be there. We have absolutely no right to be disturbing or causing to disturb them.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I think what we're missing, at least I am - who is making the request versus who has the authority to do so.

If the landowner made the request, then by all means, the note should be added to the cache page, or as I said earlier, an even better approach would be to disable the caches altogether during these hunting seasons.

If the guide is leasing the land, then the same may hold true but do guides lease the land they hunt on? If so, it's the first time I've ever heard of it. And if an area is leased specifically for hunting, I'd lean toward it's not a great area to have caches there anyway. And If I was paying money to lease land to take people hunting on, I would not want cachers, hikers, or any other people on that land.

No one here is recommending any cache hider disrespect landowners or land managers when considering cache placement. But if income is the only argument someone who is utilizing the land with equal right to be there as anyone else then that is not a valid request IMO. If they have been granted a higher right then that is different.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Wow...Everybody wants to argue opinions on here for something as simple as make a note on the cache or lose the land to cache on.....Its that simple and to be honest nobody's opinion matters. On the other hand, Mike you are going to get everybodys opinions even if they understand because everyone here just loves to debate anything and everything. I think Mike would just like to hear us say Yes we understand that and will respect any and all land owners as per GS. rules.

The problem with that is when you are only downloading the waypoints and not even reading about the cache you aren't going to know about the prominently displayed notice.

Wink *gasp*

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Family View Post
    The problem with that is when you are only downloading the waypoints and not even reading about the cache you aren't going to know about the prominently displayed notice.
    You mean to tell me you don't do paperless caching so you can check what the listing says while you're in hot pursuit of that next cache? Oh my! The shame of it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Family View Post
    Cachers really really should read cache descriptions before doing any cache. With many caches you should read the description before even leaving the house.

And I'll be the first to admit that is hard for me to do. I am often afraid if I read the description it will give out too many clues as to how it's hidden, and also I'd rather be surprised at the location. But in reality is is better for the cacher, cache owner, and often the landowners to do this bit of research before heading out, especially in cases where these notes need to be added.

If I could play the way I'd like to play I'd rarely read a description. But this is another case where playing your own way could have negative repercussions on the game.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-05-2010 at 01:06 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Default Hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Cachers really really should read cache descriptions before doing any cache. With many caches you should read the description before even leaving the house.

And I'll be the first to admit that is hard for me to do. I am often afraid if I read the description it will give out too many clues as to how it's hidden, and also I'd rather be surprised at the location. But in reality is is better for the cacher, cache owner, and often the landowners to do this bit of research before heading out, especially in cases where these notes need to be added.

If I could play the way I'd like to play I'd rarely read a description. But this is another case where playing your own way could have negative repercussions on the game.
    If you're loading caches by way of PQ and planning on doing a large number of them on your trip reading the description before hand would be hard to do, if not impossible. When PJ and I were pre-planning trips and selecting caches one at a time from GC.com we often were able to do that but still couldn't remember specific caches all that accurately. Might have remembered a warning type note better because of the nature of the note but I can't attest to that, not having tested the theory. Paperless caching might help, somewhat, since the text from the listing is available to you in the field but you still have to actually open the description on the Garmin Oregon 450, which I seldom do before we're there at the cache area. Usually I only bring up the description if we're having a hard time finding the cache. A note on the cache listing might meet the "technical" requirements from the landowner but it isn't realistic that the note would even be seen by any cacher loading up by way of PQ.

I agree with Brdad. You should read the cache listing before searching for the cache. We usually check it after we've stopped to make sure there haven't been a lot of DNF's, and to see if there are any restrictions that would affect the search.

Yeah - you should no seek a cache without reading the description. (Unless you know it's a GRC series, or something like that.)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Yeah - you should no seek a cache without reading the description. (Unless you know it's a GRC series, or something like that.)
    I almost added a "probably no need to bother" statement regarding these types of caches, but it's quite possible any of them could have a note limiting hours or landowner requested parking spot. Or, maybe someone's hunting bears from the guardrail.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-05-2010 at 02:08 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!