vb:literal>

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunting

Default Caching couples

The folks commenting on this thread mostly cache as a couple which I certainly prefer. So while driving from cache to cache and to avoid driving and looking at the cache description while do so, Di reads the cache descriptions out loud

Now, in terms of some of my cache descriptions, you ought to read 'em for a few chuckles. I haven't learned how to download info from Wikepedia to a cache listing so whatever I write is from my sometimes wild imagination. Some folks write a thesis and some of the historical info is fascinating.

I think sometimes cache placers forget that for most of us it's more fun to find a cache than not find the cache. A lot of hints are useless and lot of caches could use a little extra in the cache description to help folks make the find.

We read the descriptions and sometimes it truly helps. Like logs, I think the more ambitious amongst us put in a better effort then others which is the way I prefer to play.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Useless hints

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    A lot of hints are useless
    Especially for those cachers who can't tell the difference between and ash and a maple.

Default Huh?

Which one has the funny bark?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default There's gotta be a joke in there somewhere......

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Which one has the funny bark?
    .....but I ain't gonna tell it.

Just look at the leaves, if they look like the Canadian flag, it's a maple.

Nope I check out the cache listing, print it off, take it with me. Then I write down what I traded, let my grandson have the remaining pages and he draws pictures of where we was and what he did.
    Oh my, should I also say I enjoy putting the numbers in manually. These are times I would never have if I did paperless. Some things are just to precious to give up.

Default Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Maine Family View Post
    Nope I check out the cache listing, print it off, take it with me. Then I write down what I traded, let my grandson have the remaining pages and he draws pictures of where we was and what he did.
    Oh my, should I also say I enjoy putting the numbers in manually. These are times I would never have if I did paperless. Some things are just to precious to give up.
    Sounds like you've found something too precious to waste, time with your grandson. That's fantastic.

Default Drifting off topic....

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Cachers really really should read cache descriptions before doing any cache. With many caches you should read the description before even leaving the house.

And I'll be the first to admit that is hard for me to do. I am often afraid if I read the description it will give out too many clues as to how it's hidden, and also I'd rather be surprised at the location. But in reality is is better for the cacher, cache owner, and often the landowners to do this bit of research before heading out, especially in cases where these notes need to be added.

If I could play the way I'd like to play I'd rarely read a description. But this is another case where playing your own way could have negative repercussions on the game.
    ...but what else is new? I have to agree with Brdad....read the cache description. I have one placed cache, GC1XX37 that specifically recommends you to take the Bennett Road to the cache rather than a shortcut thru the campground. The biggest reason is the short drive is scenic, along the river as well as mountains and fields. The drive ends at the covered bridge and a small family cemetary. Some do, some don't.

Oh well. A number of my placed caches are of historical location in some way. By not reading the cache description, I think the cacher has missed out. Then again, if the cacher is trying for as many as possible in a given amount of time, then it doesn't matter. Much like the SMR series....I'd be interested in knowing just how many actually read the descriptions. Those seem to be just a few words and I suspect that cachers doing the SMR most likely do not read the description.

With my caching style, I always read the description, generally on my laptop before loading to the GPSr, occasionally as paperless. Many descriptions will have warnings and useful information that makes the caching experience better and in some cases, safer.

To each their own. Have fun.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I almost added a "probably no need to bother" statement regarding these types of caches, but it's quite possible any of them could have a note limiting hours or landowner requested parking spot. Or, maybe someone's hunting bears from the guardrail.
    I think it should be mandatory that bear hunters post flashing neon signs stating that they are hunting bear in the area so we know not to cache there, that way we don't need to take the time to post a note to our cache pages saying "hey you're in the woods, open your eyes"....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    ...but what else is new? I have to agree with Brdad....read the cache description. I have one placed cache, GC1XX37 that specifically recommends you to take the Bennett Road to the cache rather than a shortcut thru the campground.
    YES! Directions to the cache area are one of the most important reasons to read the description. MANY times we have used Garmin to route us to the cache, only to find that we're 100 feet away - on the other side of a river. Or in a housing development - 200 feet away from the cache in the park behind the houses.

The cache owner writes the description for a reason. READ IT!

One more thing to mention...I load many caches into the Oregon and have the descriptions, and usually read them before doing the cache. Unfortunately, unless you do them the very day you go out things can change in a week ( possibly disabled for bear hunting) and there is no way to know. Lets say you were on a trip with a "loaded" Oregon. I know its bad bad bad to do it this way, but does everyone update each day they cache?
    "Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else."