vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hunting

As one who's cache is at the heart of this matter I can say this: I made the requested changes to my cache page and had no issues with that. I want people to be respectful to others who are using the land. I must say this however: I had NO idea that anyone bear baited in this area. I had been to the location several times while DEER hunting and thought it nice. Bear hunters do not put up signs that I am aware of so how is one to know? Since placing the cache 2 years ago 3 people have been there, so its not like there is a major problem here. I gladly did what I was asked because to do otherwise would risk our ability to use this land. Case closed.

Where the hell is that thing?

Sorry, HELLS GATE FALLS, in case anyone is curious.

Where the hell is that thing?

This is one for the turkey hunters out there....I know technically you are supposed to report even just running over the stupid birds to game wardens as they are considered game and you need a permit to take them. Im assuming the same goes if you happen to be out caching, you see them and they are dumb enough to get close enough to wring their necks? I have had this situation happen and thought it would be fun to take a turkey by hand but at the same time, I wouldnt want to get arrested/ fined for poaching. The law is that you can't do ANYTHING to take them down, correct?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

There are game laws that apply to the wild turkey. Those game laws set forth how, when and where wild turkeys can be hunted. Here is a link to the Maine Web site that sets forth those laws and guidelines.

http://www.maine.gov/ifw/hunting_trapping/index.htm
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Default Not dumb trust me

Actually, turkeys are rather smart, have the keenest eyesight of just about any other game birds and are a serious challenge to get them close enough to you to shoot one, assuming you're not one of those that blasts them out the window of your truck.

I represented a young fellow a couple of years ago that tried to intentionally run over a mess of them with his truck. Unfortunately for him, a neighbor was filming the birds at the exact moment he came by.

Turkeys are smart, they never spend a day in jail, let alone the week my client received.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    This is one for the turkey hunters out there....I know technically you are supposed to report even just running over the stupid birds to game wardens as they are considered game and you need a permit to take them. Im assuming the same goes if you happen to be out caching, you see them and they are dumb enough to get close enough to wring their necks? I have had this situation happen and thought it would be fun to take a turkey by hand but at the same time, I wouldnt want to get arrested/ fined for poaching. The law is that you can't do ANYTHING to take them down, correct?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default But.....

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Actually, turkeys are rather smart, have the keenest eyesight of just about any other game birds and are a serious challenge to get them close enough to you to shoot one, assuming you're not one of those that blasts them out the window of your truck.

I represented a young fellow a couple of years ago that tried to intentionally run over a mess of them with his truck. Unfortunately for him, a neighbor was filming the birds at the exact moment he came by.

Turkeys are smart, they never spend a day in jail, let alone the week my client received.
    .....everybody is entitled to a defense.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Lawyers usually flock to the opportunity to represent turkeys!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default I remember that....

Can you say, "Idjit"?

You guys laugh, but my first Law Enforcement job was with the Penobscot County S.O. as a part time deputy/transport officer. I was sent down to Newport district court to pick up a prisoner and take him to Bangor. I was 23 at the time and was really shocked to find out that the guy I was putting the shackles on and taking north was a good friend of mine from high school.

He had just gotten a week for night hunting (I wasn't surprised at that) and on the ride up I asked him why in the heck did he do it. I'll never forget his reply. He said that he was driving to deer camp at around 4 a.m. when he looked into a field and saw "The biggest f'in buck I've ever seen in my life". He said he stopped his truck and backed up and the deer was still there. It stood still as he got out of his truck and grabbed his rifle, that's when he got suspicious. He told me that he started to think that it was one of those fake one's until he saw the ears twitch and some steam come out of the deers nose. He then took his shot, saw powder come out of the deer, set his gun on the ground and got down beside it. Said it was the most realistic thing he'd ever seen and he fell for it.

I digested this info for a while and sort of struggled with the fact that I was driving a buddy to jail. He finally said to me "you know what the damnedest thing is about this?" I said no and he replied "just before I pulled the trigger, I heard giggling"
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Oooh, I think I remember seeing this on the news! He drove right through a flock of turkeys that were in the middle of the road - that was quite a sight watching that on TV.