vb:literal>

Thread: Maine Geocaches

Default Maine Geocaches

I will be heading to Maine to visit my parents in a couple weeks. I was wondering if anyone could give me directions to Angel Falls from West Farmington. I was also wondering if there were any caches near Angel Falls. I have already found the one a Coos Canyon. Unfortunately when I go out with my parents, they do not have alot of patience to wait while I look for the caches. There was a particularlly difficult one a Screw Auger Falls, that I didn't have alot of time to look for due to the patience issue. Well, any input would be great. Thank you all in advance.

Try this link (look under Rangely).

Thank you, I took a look at it. I know my parents have tried to find it in the past and have never been able to find the correct road. We come from Route 2 through Mexico to get there. I just love Coos Canyon area. I also love the Smalls Falls area. I intend on doing some caches in the area. I was hoping there were some at Angel Falls to get. I will look them up. Thanks again. If you have any suggestions for caches, I am all ears. I must say I was reading up on Iceman and I am interested.

The directions on that site are good. It is, as I did the cache near there earlier this year, well marked off the main route. The road down into the pit is quite steep as I remember. We parked part way down and hoofed it to the cache. We never did see the Falls (not our goal) but did find the cache. We had to cross the stream. Finding the cache was not 1 mile in - that's for sure.

Do you know if those directions were from Rangely or Mexico?

I would say Rangely - that is where we came from on our journey. South of Mexico would not be in the direction of Angel Falls. Angel Falls is North of Norway.

As stated, off route 17, Angel falls was well marked when you are on the roads once you make the turns (as described on the web site referenced). Jammer - one of Maine's oldest caches - GC186F is near there. I used the cache description and routing to the cache to find the roads. If you try to find the cache - your parents will be waiting a bit. It's a wee bit of a hike - can't remember how far from where we parked - 1/2 mile maybe.

The cache at Angel Falls is Jammer (GC186F) by lucien (2/2)

Here is a route from Farmington to where you turn south off Bemis Road, down over the steep hill as Hollora stated and into the gravel pit where you will have to park. At the other end of the pit is a trail which crosses a small stream (be prepared to possibly get your feet wet) and head to the cache.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...,0.109863&z=14
    Last edited by brdad; 09-07-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Note that I couldn't get it the route to go down to the parking area. Its one of the two dirt roads you can see in the last picture. The ride through on the Bemis road is nice to take, comes out up in Oquossoc.

Thanks for the photos! Nicely done and should get anyone right to it.

Photo #3 - The big white area below the road is part of the dirt/road/ too. I stopped at the upper wide section as it was very steep and looked washed out. The bigger white area below, walking down, revealed a pit like area with some additional roads. It would could have been done but I had been a bit leary.

Where the concentration was on doing the cache just kept walking towards it. It looks like a long walk on this picture, a lot longer than I really remembered it. Water is so low now - crossing the stream shouldn't be a problem if you are going to do the cache.

I remember there were little white arrows and signs that said "Angel Falls"

Thank you all for the pictures and the route. I am hopeful that I can do a 2 for. Go see the falls and get the cache along the way. We will see how patient my parents are. They have always wanted to see Angel Falls, but mentioend they could never find the correct road. I had actually looked at Jammer and found the correct road to take from 17. I am in IT and you would have thought that Google Maps would have been my first place to check, sometimes my brain gets in its own way. We also may be going to Acadia although there was another cache in a park (Boot Something, I have it bookmarked) that mentioned the views were better without the crowds. I will see how my parents feel about things. If I can prove that geocaching can bring us to places we may not have known about, I may win them over. I am not a numbers person with geocaches, more of a take me someplace I have never been type person. If anyone has other ideas, I am all ears. Thank you all again for your input.