vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some things you can't un-see

Default Some things you can't un-see

I was at training in Portland this week and decided to find some caches during my lunch break. I found a trail near the training facility that had some caches so I decided to go find a few Friday. The name of the trail was Clark's Pond trail. I parked over by HD and had to skip the first cache because some vagrants were parked at the picnic table and watching every move I made. I should have seen the warning signs there. I made my way down the paved path and found the trail. I didn't know it at the time but I actually went the wrong direction. I walked a short distance down the path and saw someone standing about 25 yards away. I couldn't quite figure out what they were doing at first but then I saw someone else on the ground in front of them. OMG!!! I wanted to poke out my eyeballs. I turned to go and they realized someon else was there. It was two middle aged men and they were scrambling to get themselves together and I was scrambling to get the H E double hockey sticks out of there. I guess I am used to caching in central Maine because I have never come across this. Thank goodness I didn't have my boys with me. Not a pleasant experience. Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Default Heads up for others...

I would definitely log a note on this one so the cache owner is aware. Thats something that all cachers would want to avoid and it being that much of a public area with paved trails and all, I'd want to know if my kids were are risk for seeing negative activity like that while out just to grab a cache. If everyone that sees anything like this logs a note, it protects us all. Sad that people feel the need to take their actions out in to the public.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

There was a cache at a rest stop cache up here that caused a lot of controversy in the forums a few years back. Instead of considering options to improve the area, the cache owner was hounded and the cache was archived.

It does happen, I would not want to see it either. And not because I am homophobic, when I am caching I would not want to see it no matter what sex the parties were, I don't even want to see bears doing it for that matter lol. There is a time and place for that.

I think the best thing to do I these cases is to alert the owner personally and/or in the cache log. You may want to provide more details privately. But do it nicely, odds are this is not the reason he wanted to bring you tho the area.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-25-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

it is a sad sad world we live in folks....

If it were my cache I would appreciate a private note or a "well worded" note in your log about it.

I have to say though if it were mine and activity like that was happening there I would probably choose to move the cache.

This is a family sport/game and I would not want to have to explain that to my grandchild.
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

A year ago I was going to the Clarks Pond Point puzzle cache with a fellow cacher and we met a casually dressed Maine State Trooper setting up an exercise for cadaver dogs almost at GZ. We explained geocaching to him but didn't ask to see what he was hiding for the dogs to find. Now if the trooper could have just been with Fins_up when they saw what they saw, maybe some corrective measures could have been taken on the spot.

I did place a warning note in the cache logs. I know as a parent if I see a note like that I will avoid that cache.

I work across the street from babling brook trail that connects to clarks pond trails and I have never seen any of this activity before. I believe this is probably a isolated incident that could happen just about anywhere. I would hate to see a cache get archived because of one encounter so I would send the CO a email and let them know before writting it in a log.

Perhaps it was isolated but I would not take that chance with my children. I will not go back there again.

I must say though that the crowd I say hanging out near the first cache there did not lead me to believe it was isolated.

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    Perhaps it was isolated but I would not take that chance with my children. I will not go back there again.
    Sheesh! Just be happy it wasn't someone you recognized.