vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Great new challenge cache

Default Great new challenge cache

Just saw this newly published challenge this morning and it is calling to me. GC1M654. Excellent idea Hollora!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Does anyone have a listing of the crash sites? Brdad? I know we've visited a couple, but I'd hate to have to weed through our cache logs to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Does anyone have a listing of the crash sites? Brdad? I know we've visited a couple, but I'd hate to have to weed through our cache logs to find them.
    There is a bookmark list on the cache page!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    There is a bookmark list on the cache page!
    Ah! Ok - thanks. I missed that.

I added it after the cache got published (only way to do it). Hope it helps.

I remember each and every trek. The F-86A site there is a letter in the cache container to the pilot from his Granddaughter he never met. Wished I had taken a photo of it. Maybe another visitor will. If anyone wants some tips on access to these, email me. Did a lot of research before starting on the trek to them all.

I saw a plane crash once - right in front of us at an airshow. Military C-130 doing a LAPES (Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System) demonstration, where a parachute pulls cargo out of the back of the plane when it's flying only a few feet off the ground. The plane came in too fast and hit the ground.

Not a pretty sight.

Click on this link and go to July 1, 1987.

I saw a plane crash once - right in front of us at an airshow. Military C-130 doing a LAPES (Low Altitude Parachute Extraction System) demonstration, where a parachute pulls cargo out of the back of the plane when it's flying only a few feet off the ground. The plane came in too fast and hit the ground.

Not a pretty sight.

Click on this link and go to July 1, 1987.
    I'm sure it was awful. Every site I visited, reminded me of the power in an aircraft and what service men/women do every day. They give unselfishly and many paid the ultimate sacrafice. Not all in a crash, but, the military is a dangerous profession.

Thank you for the link and education - I had no idea they did this with a plane to deliver supplies - let alone a tank!

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Thank you for the link and education - I had no idea they did this with a plane to deliver supplies - let alone a tank!
    Actually, I found a video on YouTube that actually shows a LAPES demonstration at an air show at Fort Bragg - exactly the same thing we saw in 1987. Only that time, the plane didn't go back up...

And here's another interesting video of "airdrops gone wrong". LOL!

You've piqued my interest! I may just have to try this challenge! LOL!

You've piqued my interest! I may just have to try this challenge! LOL!
    I think you would enjoy it - and not all these sites are just easy peezees. One is a hike over some slash but you can take your time. My knee isn't the best and I did it.

The final is easy but you could enjoy some cold refreshments at a Bangor Pub after.

The journey to see them all is a good one. Ekidokai was with me when I did the Aroostook County loop and we did 3 in one day. You could combine that with doing the final or a stop over in Bangor and do Bald Mtn and then the final on the following day.

Not a numbers game but a chance to learn history and see some places which are truly - final resting grounds. If I can help route in any way - let me know.

Thanks for those links. Interesting stuff!

Hubby (service - USAF - Jet Mechanic/Crew Chief) really enjoyed them - comment was, "that machine of yours can get anything today can't it!?!" LOL he won't even turn on the computer. My comment, "Yes it will and see what you are missing."