vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Most caches in a given town Version 2

Default Most caches in a given town Version 2

This is a continuation of the thread Most caches in a given town in which I failed miserably at producing accurate results. In this newest attempt, we are using data which is much more accurate - much of this is because it utilizes shape files of the borders of all Maine towns. Still, caches very near the borders of towns may be incorrectly listed. Then again, the cache may not be in the town you think it is after all.

At my current count, there are active caches in 596 Maine civil divisions, there have been caches placed in 643 civil divisions, out of a total of 916 in the state.

So anyway, here are some preliminary numbers showing the civil divisions with more than 50 active caches. The order of areas with the total number of placed caches is very similar.

Portland ----- 195
    Lewiston ----- 133
    Bangor ----- 115
    Augusta ----- 110
    Falmouth ----- 108
    Kennebunk ----- 101
    Freeport ----- 73
    Cumberland ----- 70
    Biddeford ----- 64
    Yarmouth ----- 64
    Moscow ----- 63
    Auburn ----- 60
    Saco ----- 60
    Scarborough ----- 59
    South Portland ----- 59
    Westbrook ----- 56
    Washington ----- 55
    China ----- 54
    Kennebunkport ----- 54
    Brunswick ----- 52
    Gorham ----- 52
    Lyman ----- 51
    Standish ----- 50

I still need to verify some of my data and make an easy to use macro for anyone wishing to list the towns in GSAK. Fins_Up is doing some tedious data entry which hopefully will allow us to add a Maine towns map to the FindStats Macro.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-14-2010 at 04:33 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Very impressive. Thank you for updating this list!

Default Stats!

I whipped up a macro to create an HTML table of all towns with over 25 hides. These numbers include archiveds. You can click on any column to sort the data how you'd like.

I have to give a big shout out to the town of Parkman, which has made the stats with a whopping 4.35 average terrain rating! We can thank Vic & Lacy for that!

http://bytethebullet.com/geocaching/...TownStats.html
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Macro for anyone wanting to test...

Attached is a macro which will primarily populate one of the user data fields in GSAK with the town name and also produce 3 interactive stats based on Maine towns.

All the town data is included with the macro in an embedded zip file, which will (hopefully) be automatically be unzipped into the proper GSAK folder the first time you run the macro.

If you run other macros that populate any of the User Data columns, Make sure you elect a column for the town data that will not interfere as the data for the selected column will be deleted. If you are unsure what columns you might be using select View - Add/Delete Columns from the GSAK menu and check the User Data, User data 2, User data 3, and User data 4 checkboxes. If you wish to keep these columns or the column you save the towns in, you can do so by choosing View - Save current view... from the GSAK menu.

You will need to update the database(s) you wish to list Maine towns when you add caches. Choosing to update only the empty records will speed the update a bit, but if you have non-town data in the column you will want to deselect that option to overwrite the old data.

The stats section of the macro will output D/T, Container(Size), or Cache Type stats, in other words how many of each is in each town. The macro will respect your current GSAK filter, so for example if you want to run towns stats on a particular hider(s), filter GSAK to list only caches hidden by that hider and then run the macro. The image below shows such a list of Ekidokai's hides. If you are running the stats on an unfiltered, large database, such as all Maine caches, you will probably want to limit the stats to towns that have over 25 number of caches, or some number that fits your need.

EDIT: I'll post the macro shortly, I didn't forget! ;-)

EDIT2: macro file is down at the bottom of the post now!

EDIT 3: Macro has been removed and moved to the GSAK web site: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=19842
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Maine Towns Macro.JPG 
Views:	561 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	518   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ekidokai Town Stats.JPG 
Views:	501 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	519  
    Last edited by brdad; 10-08-2011 at 09:01 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

So has anyone tried the macro? Intimidated? Comments, criticisms, suggestions????????
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I installed and ran the macro. User Data updated, but the HTML list only shows one row. Did I do something wrong?
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

Default Me too

I had the same results I'm afraid
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I installed and ran the macro. User Data updated, but the HTML list only shows one row. Did I do something wrong?
    If it shows one line but does not list a town name, you probably updated your user data column and then changed databases. You will need to run the macro on any database you want town data in.

Hope that's all it is!

Incidentally, if the list shows Maine towns plus one unnamed town, the unnamed town is the total of all the caches in the unknown towns, most likely out of state caches. If you do not want that row to show, filter your database for only Maine caches first.
    Last edited by brdad; 09-20-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

There are 3 caches on the Western Maine border which do not show as being in Maine. I may have to edit the shape files a bit, but for now you can just enter the data in manually. The gc.com maps also show these caches across the line.

Route 2 Tour-State Line (GCYGGA) by mainiac1957 and Quilting Mom (1/1.5) - which is in Gilead - Oddly enough, gc.com's maps show this in Nh too!
    S.F.R.W. Standing by peacefull waters (GC1X9W2) by THEHIWAYMAN & JKJEEPCHIC with IAMSURVIVORMAN & BC (3/3) - Which is in Lebanon
    You Can't Get Here From There (GC2DHTW) by NH River Rats (1.5/1.5) - Which is in Bowmantown Twp
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Ok, I fixed the issue with having only one line in the html table!

MaineTowns.gsk
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!