vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Locator Beacons

Groundspeak's. Supposedly a few accounts have already been suspended or closed.

I understand people think it's ok and that such a small percentage of the whole use it, but my personal feeling is by running these apps and programs that scrape the site, it affects the products and services the rest of us are utilizing, and they are wasting time fighting these apps and trying to regain bandwidth that could be used creating the new features we all could use.

If a person feels the need to scrape, there are sites that allow it, (opencaching.us et al..) Let gc.com move on with it's version of services!
    Last edited by brdad; 09-30-2010 at 12:52 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Groundspeak's. Supposedly a few accounts have already been suspended or closed.

I understand people think it's ok and that such a small percentage of the whole use it, but my personal feeling is by running these apps and programs that scrape the site, it affects the products and services the rest of us are utilizing, and they are wasting time fighting these apps and trying to regain bandwidth that could be used creating the new features we all could use.

If a person feels the need to scrape, there are sites that allow it, (opencaching.us et al..) Let gc.com move on with it's version of services!
    Well, you know, I've tried the app earlier in the year and absolutely did not like it and certainly am not apt to use it. I've mentioned this and my caching style on several occasions here, it just does not fit. I guess I didn't realize that the smart phone app is considered a scraper and I dare say that the average cacher and smart phone user would not either, even after having read it in the TOS. That said, I've no problem with complying with TOS.
    I think a number of us have seen the results of cachers placing a new cache utilizing a smart phone and not getting/publishing accurate coords.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Well, you know, I've tried the app earlier in the year and absolutely did not like it and certainly am not apt to use it. I've mentioned this and my caching style on several occasions here, it just does not fit. I guess I didn't realize that the smart phone app is considered a scraper and I dare say that the average cacher and smart phone user would not either, even after having read it in the TOS. That said, I've no problem with complying with TOS.
    I think a number of us have seen the results of cachers placing a new cache utilizing a smart phone and not getting/publishing accurate coords.
    You are mixing two unrelated things together.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    I guess I didn't realize that the smart phone app is considered a scraper and I dare say that the average cacher and smart phone user would not either, even after having read it in the TOS.
    That is one issue I do take with the TOS - it's hard enough for someone like me who half understands it, and gc.com does not openly state what the trigger is - and probably for good reason, but it makes it hard to determine what is acceptable and what is not.

The way it was explained to me is that accessing anything on the site that you do not need to log in to see is generally allowed. It's when you need to access the other data that they do not like. That includes coordinates and some other data. Every time you access any of this data (for each cache even) is counted a a separate login. Log out and browse the site to see what you can see...
    Last edited by brdad; 09-30-2010 at 04:12 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Not to mention any trace of the name of the app gets removed from the forums automatically! it is known as "The app that shall remain nameless"!

How is someone supposed to know if something is banned if you can't even mention it by name! An average user that isn't into app development doesn't know how that app functions by scraping the page.

Anyway, I think the thread got derailed here... haha

Quote Originally Posted by umop3plsdn View Post
    Anyway, I think the thread got derailed here... haha
    Happens all the time.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

I totally get that they don't want people swiping their data but if you'd paid for a premium membership, I feel like you ought to be able to access it without having to go through an additional $10 just for 'their' app. The app that shall not be named does the exact same thing that Groundspeak's app does, only better and is free. If they want people using their own app to prevent the scraping, make the app free for premium members. Do I rely on it 100% of the time to cache? No. Do I occasionally run into a spot where i have some time and want to see if there are any undone caches in the area and don't have my laptop and GPSr? Who doesn't. None of the apps out there allow for you to do PQ's or anything so its not as though someone could 'steal' all their info using a smartphone app. Seems just a little bit much to me.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    I totally get that they don't want people swiping their data but if you'd paid for a premium membership, I feel like you ought to be able to access it without having to go through an additional $10 just for 'their' app.
    On one hand I agree with you - it seems wrong to pay for an app when you are already paying for the membership. On the other hand, We pay money for GSAK, Mapsource, Cachemate, Delorme Topo, and numerous other applications to make the game suit our individual needs. The only difference is the origin of the product. I lean toward the thought if they want to produce a product and charge for it, then they have that right and maybe it's not wrong for them to do so.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    On one hand I agree with you - it seems wrong to pay for an app when you are already paying for the membership. On the other hand, We pay money for GSAK, Mapsource, Cachemate, Delorme Topo, and numerous other applications to make the game suit our individual needs. The only difference is the origin of the product. I lean toward the thought if they want to produce a product and charge for it, then they have that right and maybe it's not wrong for them to do so.
    The difference here is that the apps and tools mentioned are all tools that use the data after you've already obtained it the way Groundspeak wants you to via PQ's. By all means, they are running a business and if its a new way to generate revenue, good for them. At the same time, you are asking people to pay an extra $10 just to access the same exact data a little different way.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry