vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alert! Geocaching Dot Com and User AutoJoey

I guess I was wrong about gc.com deleting the logs, so if you have any on your caches you should delete them yourself...

From NH Zamboni in the national forums:
    Thank you for the e-mail messages and concern regarding the user "JoeyBot" / "AutoJoey" over the weekend. It's good to see how responsive and attentive the caching community has been to this issue. JoeyBot attacked Vermont Sunday logging about 1500 bogus cache finds. AutoJoey is currently logging finds in NH. For those of you who contacted me yesterday I immediately forwarded concerns to Groundspeak and JoeyBot has been banned from the website. Earlier this morning I contacted Groundspeak requesting bannination of the AutoJoey account.

For the health of your PC. Please do not click any of the links included in the found it logs.

Traditionally Groundspeak will only take action on cache logs in limited situations such as profanity and personal attacks that violate the Terms of Use Agreement. Other than that, taking action on someone's cache page is typically not performed. Please delete any bogus 'found it' logs from your caches. I regret the burden this places on the affected cache owners.

Thanks

Zamboni / Trevor
    Geocaching.com volunteer reviewer for VT / NH
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

NativeMainer-"Has anything like this ever happened before?"
    The Groundspeak forums have been talking about various BOT attacks in this thread started 9-19-2010.

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...ic=260242&st=0

Default So....

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    I just glanced, 3553 now.
    ....ah, it really is about the numbers then.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

As of 2:18PM the number of logs has dropped to about 3400. People are starting to delete the bogus logs.

The AutoJoey BOT was logging caches at the rate of about 500 per hour for about 7 hours before the plug was pulled. Although Groundspeak got official notification of the problem before 6:15AM, on the west coast everyone was in bed. It took another 4 hours and 1800 more bogus logs before the account was disabled.

Good News was recieved at noon today from Groundspeak that "Joey" was now a banned user.
    That does not mean that other states wont get hit though..

Strange that it was a State by State hit, though...
    AND not ALL of mine were logged either...

Stay vigilant and, yes Hollora, I was at work when I got your email.
    Kind of hard to sneak around the shop with the iPod Touch posting on the internet..
    Doing What You Love is Freedom
    Loving What You do is Happiness!

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_Chaz View Post
    Good News was recieved at noon today from Groundspeak that "Joey" was now a banned user.
    That does not mean that other states wont get hit though..

Strange that it was a State by State hit, though...
    AND not ALL of mine were logged either...

Stay vigilant and, yes Hollora, I was at work when I got your email.
    Kind of hard to sneak around the shop with the iPod Touch posting on the internet..
    :-) You are the best Bass Chaz.......no probs here - I think through the help of everyone it may be covered. God Bless!

This "cacher" found our new cache and twenty seven hundred seventeen other caches all yesterday. Now that's a numbers run!!
    http://www.geocaching.com/profile/de...1-04e3ff1d6c8f

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    This "cacher" found our new cache and twenty seven hundred seventeen other caches all yesterday. Now that's a numbers run!!

they are hitting caches all over 3 states this morning....including maine!
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    The blog site has pictures of hundreds if not thousands of the caches they have found, taken and destroyed!
    They posted they found 5 of my caches..All in remote places. Do I need to check if they've been removed?
    They evidently own the whole planet. Deeds to property don't apply to them.
    (selfrightious God wannabees!)

I believe some of my caches have been hit too -I am deleting the logs! Here is one - but DO NOT CLICK IF THERE IS A LINK - I have no idea where it goes! " October 4 by ForestDefenders (3165 found)

Stop littering and destroying our fragile ecosystems!"
    Last edited by brdad; 10-06-2010 at 11:52 AM.