vb:literal>

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alert! Geocaching Dot Com and User AutoJoey

I was looking up caches this morning near Grand Lake Stream and noticed a strange log, so I also took a look at "ForestDefenders" blog. I agree NativeMainer, it's a good idea to be vigilant about people like this~ so much anger for an activity that they don't understand, and haven't taken the time to research. It's interesting that his blog is set up so that no one has the ability to comment at all. He wants to have that "all mighty, I'm absolutely right about this" atmosphere to post in, because allowing others to post might inspire a reader to research on their own.

As far as not discussing it because by doing so we fall into their "trap".... knowledge is power. The more knowledgeable cachers are about this type of activity the better prepared we can be. Not just regarding what might be on an online log, or at a cache site, but also more thoughtful about what we can say in response to lies about geocaching and letterboxing. It's unlikely someone like this can make a huge impact, but we don't want him to make caching uncomfortable for people either. Creating awareness about trolls like this is a benefit.

Things like this always take me back to the "premium" vs "regular" caches argument though... =(

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson 7 View Post
    Things like this always take me back to the "premium" vs "regular" caches argument though... =(
    For a long time my thinking has always been there should be a credit card or some other authentication of all new accounts, premium and regular. I know there's plenty of people who will say they would not have joined if there were such requirements, but it seems there would be a lot less abuse if all accounts had an actual name attached to them.

In this particular case, even members only caches were being logged.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Davidson 7 View Post
    I don't recall any conversations about premium vs regular member caches, and I don't really want to bring up the subject. I've never quite seen the reason to have premium membership caches. The premium membership caches that I've done are no more nor no less special than any of the other caches that I've found. None of my caches are for premium members only, and I doubt they (and any future caches I place) ever will be.

People like ForestDefender are few and far between, we as an organization can replace caches far faster than one (or even a small handful of individuals) can wreck. I will not let an anonymous malcontented individual ruin my fun.

If you look past the tirade, FD does make a couple of points, such as the creation of geotrails and geotrash (which should be another topic). He's just taken to destroying the caches and letterboxes he finds, a fairly extreme measure he feels justified in doing.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

If you read his blog, he's got some valid points. He's taking things to a huge extreme in destroying caches by all means, but there are some caches that are placed without consideration of what it might do to an area.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    If you read his blog, he's got some valid points. He's taking things to a huge extreme in destroying caches by all means, but there are some caches that are placed without consideration of what it might do to an area.

First, I would like to apologize for the following rant. It's been a terrible day and I suspect that is tainting my perspective.

I honestly do not feel that he has any valid points at all. In fact, I percieve this FD to be, using cop lingo, a "Adam-Henry". His lack of common manners, lack of respect for other opinions, intentional disruption of logs and overall holier than thou attitude on his so called "blog" proves that he is nothing more than pond scum. A few years back when Plum Creek proposed development of land around Greenville a few "crusaders" attacked the house of a Plum Creek executive here in Oakland. They coated rocks with fresh orange paint, surrounded the house and tossed them into windows, narrowly missing the kids. The damage was fixable, but the family was terrified. A few weeks later, they moved out of state for fear of their kids safety. Unfortunately, we did not make any arrests, which bothers me to this day. It was cowardly, foolish and actually set more people up against their cause than anything else they could have done. FD is the cyber version of these jerks. When civilized people stand up for what they believe in, they do not hide in anonymity. Yes, we use geo-names, but it's not hard to figure out who we are. John Hancock was probably the most arrogant founding father, but he certainly did not hide his name. If FD wants to have a civilized conversation over litter and trails, that would be great. But cyber-attacks and stupid blogs make me want to go out and plant 10 more caches just to piss him off. I'm hoping that Karma gets him someday and he tries to steal a cache, and grabs a wasp nest instead.

Oh, and I sincerely hope I did not offend anyone. Please tell me if I did.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

I basically thing the FD is much like a PETA extremist but for nature. Seriously, if you look at things from all sides, his idea is great in regards to preserving nature the exact way it is and letting it take its own untouched course but how he's going about it is completely wrong. I would certainly be mad if it was one of my caches he got a hold of. At the same time, I wouldn't be going out and placing a cache in an area that has endangered species of plants or anything.
    Comparing the situation to Plum Creek, while it can be viewed in the same way, isn't really the same. FD is not going to Groundspeak's employees homes and damaging stuff and frightening their families with rocks through windows or anything. Hes out stealing $10 ammo cans full of McToys and if he's lucky, might take a trackable out of circulation The guy is an ass for going about it the way he is, but thats just the nature of those type of extremists and he's obviously just doing things publicly enough to try and raise support for the cause.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Oh, and I sincerely hope I did not offend anyone. Please tell me if I did.
    No offense taken. I by no means condone what FD is doing. I merely meant that he's expressing some valid points the wrong way. We should take whatever means necessary to prevent someone like him from wrecking our game, short of violence, of course.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Default Why no violence?

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    No offense taken. I by no means condone what FD is doing. I merely meant that he's expressing some valid points the wrong way. We should take whatever means necessary to prevent someone like him from wrecking our game, short of violence, of course.
    Haven't we all learned that violence to get what you want is okay? Look at the extremist idiots who kill doctors who perform abortions. I, personally, don't believe abortion should be legal execpt in cases where the mother's life is in danger or the baby's life is in danger and neither can be saved any other way. Other acceptions would be in the case of rape, for example, on a case by case basis. Someone getting an abortion merely because they have an unwanted pregnancy should not be allowed.

Oh,oh. We might be moving into "politics" and I don't think this site encourages this type of discussion. Brdad can you chime in here?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Oh,oh. We might be moving into "politics" and I don't think this site encourages this type of discussion. Brdad can you chime in here?
    "LIKE"

My mouthpiece hit the nail on the head
    Happy Trails!