vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using EasyGPS to group load caches

Quote Originally Posted by TwoMaineiacs

I have no problems at all having the Garmin, computer, DeLorme street Atlas and even Mapsource talk to each other. I'd just hoped I'd missed something easy about EasyGPS loading the selected caches to the Garmin with one button push instead of individually.
    Yes - you can do them ALL with a "one button push" in EasyGPS.

When you open your file of waypoints in EasyGPS, they should all be listed. Click on the "send" icon, and it should transfer ALL of the waypoints to your GPS. If this doesn't happen, you need to tell us what DOES happen! LOL!

Unhappy

Let's say I have ten caches listed in my subdirectory for Augusta and want to transfer/load them to the Garmin.

1. Start EasyGPS. Click on Open and then on my subdirectory named Augusta. Highlight first cache and use Shift click on last to highlight them all. Click open on Windows file box.

2. All caches are now in EasyGPS but they are on their own "layer" so to speak. One appears directly on the screen, the rest show as tabs on the bottom of the GPS screen. Or I can get them to "tile" so they are more visible.

3. I have to go to each one to load to the GPS. There does not appear to be a way to load them all at one time???? For example, highlight one cache, click on "send" and a smaller box comes up showing "Send to GPS" with a check mark beside "Waypoints 1/1000". It's not THAT time consuming to click on each single one and send to GPS, I just want to do it all with one send click.

Off to Fiber Frolic and a few caches up and back.

Anne - the stubborn old coot
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

Talking

Oohh! Ooohh!! I know the answer to this one! First, you will want to right-click on a tab and pick "Restore"... this will show each tab in a window. From here, you can drag the waypoint out of that window and into another window. This will combine the waypoints so two are listed in the window. Keep dragging the remaining waypoints into this window until you have all of them.

As you might expect, GSAK eliminates the need to do this because every waypoint is stored in one database.

I'll admit that I haven't used EasyGPS too much lately - again, GSAK is SOOOOO much better, LOL! - but this is interesting and I've been trying to duplicate the problem with no luck. I don't understand why, when you open the file "Augusta", you don't have all the waypoints listed in the box.

I just created a file called "me.gpx" and opened it in EasyGPS. I now have a list of waypoints in the TOP box.

I click on "send" and get a little box that says "send to GPS waypoints (289/500)".

I don't have to do anything else. What am I missing? LOL!
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 06-12-2005 at 09:31 AM.

Cache'n's tip works. I could just see him/her jumping up and down yelling "I know, I know". Thank you.

Maybe it's because I'm using LOC instead of GPX files? Will drop for now as this coming week won't be geocaching during the week days. Looking forward to a demo (I hope) of GSAK at "Slipping into summer".

4 of 5 successful caches today with our FTF. We were getting in the truck when BlueGrass Gyrl showed up. 5 minutes later we wouldn't have our FTF <G>. Nice to say hello BGG. Went up to Augusta to the Arboretum and did our usual wading through the swampy trails. Note to self - NEVER leave the truck to cache without wearing your hiking boots even though the trails look dry.

Did two more over by UMA and then tried for the fifth one near UMA. "Turkey Buzzard" GCP3Y7. We're both in pretty decent shape for 60 but this one is one tough climb. At times it is 45 degrees up and the ground was wet and slippery. Turned into our second did not find after at least 45 minutes looking. GPS was bouncing like mad and even though we are positive we were standing on the coordinates, nada.

I would NOT suggest this to anyone with children, elderly or not in shape folk along. Not sure we'll go back for another try. We will try for out other not found "Pez" in Gorham. <G>

Anne
    TwoMaineiacs / Anne and Joe

OK I've been following the thread and am ready to go paperless. My biggest obstacle is that I do not have a data cord for the GPS. SO....should I buy a GPS to palm or GPS to Computer?

I have subscribed to geocaching.com and have purchased cachemate for my PALM.

My GPS doesn't support maps (or WAAS for that matter) so was wondering if there was a recommended mapping software for the PALM. I do have Delorme Maps though even if I don't have it installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Trezurs*-R-*Fun
    OK I've been following the thread and am ready to go paperless. My biggest obstacle is that I do not have a data cord for the GPS. SO....should I buy a GPS to palm or GPS to Computer?

My GPS doesn't support maps (or WAAS for that matter) so was wondering if there was a recommended mapping software for the PALM. I do have Delorme Maps though even if I don't have it installed.
    You do not need to have a cord to connect GPS to Palm unless you are going to us the Delorme mapping software with your GPS. I do but I don't think there are a lot of people that do.

You don't really need a GPS to conputer cable either. But I highly recommend it unless you want to manually keep putting the coordinates in the GPS yourself.

If you coming to the event cache this weekend I will show you what I do with my Palm and GPS.

Which Palm do you have?
    Blazing Troll

SO....should I buy a GPS to palm or GPS to Computer?
    I would suggest the computer cord. I have both and never had good luck getting the GPS to talk to the Palm. Plus the computer is faster, and does not need batteries.

That said, I really only use the computer cord to send large batches of waypoints to the GPS. If there are one or 2 new caches I need to input for a day of caching, I'll upload them to the Palm and toss the GPS and Palm to the kids in the backseat and have them put the coords in the GPS as I drive. They are getting quite good at it!

I would agree with ATtroll - get a GPS/Computer cable. You should already have a "Hotsync" cradle to hook your PDA to the computer.

What you do after that depends on how much money you want to spend. If you're at the event this weekend, you'll be able to see several different hookups. I have a power cable for the car that hooks my GPS and Palm Zire together, so I have interactive maps (Delorme Street Atlas for
    Handheld) on my PDA.

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    You do not need to have a cord to connect GPS to Palm unless you are going to us the Delorme mapping software with your GPS.

Which Palm do you have?
    I Have a PALM M515. Its a hand me down from my wife so I'm not that familiar with it although I'm gradually becoming more proficient.

I am going to load Delorme on the desktop and see what that is all about today.

I chatted with Brdad who has the same make and model GPS I'm using and he has put me in contact with someone who sells the connectors for the eTrex. I'll be attempting to make both a computer to GPS and PALM to gps cord.

I'm still not sure on this weekends event, I'm not that far away so I'll make every attempt to at least stop and say hi. Hate to commit then not show...

Thanks for the advice

Steve