vb:literal>

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Delete or not delete, that is the question

I am new to Geocaching and was only told how to find the websight over breakfast once back in the spring. Also just found this site a couple of weeks ago in the paper. until now I thought that I needed to keep my log entry's as short as possible to (1) not clog up the logs and (2) not give away any clues for future cacher's. For everyone who's caches I have found this summer I would like to let them know that this has been one of the Best summer's for me since me and my Father-in-law quit going for daylong rides through the back woods a few years ago. If he was still around he would love Geocaching I am sure. While I have not placed any caches yet I do plan to in the future so I will be able to fully enjoy everypart of this great past time.

Welcome to the site and the addiction, surfacewarrior!

It is usually bad form to give away cache locations or hiding styles, but most any cache owner would love to have a log that rivals the rest. There is probably no need to talk about your Aunt Edna's bursitis, but anything pertaining to the cache is great.

Post all you like here, too - the more input from more cachers makes the site more fun and informative.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-12-2010 at 05:40 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default It is fun

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    I am new to Geocaching and was only told how to find the websight over breakfast once back in the spring. Also just found this site a couple of weeks ago in the paper. until now I thought that I needed to keep my log entry's as short as possible to (1) not clog up the logs and (2) not give away any clues for future cacher's. For everyone who's caches I have found this summer I would like to let them know that this has been one of the Best summer's for me since me and my Father-in-law quit going for daylong rides through the back woods a few years ago. If he was still around he would love Geocaching I am sure. While I have not placed any caches yet I do plan to in the future so I will be able to fully enjoy everypart of this great past time.
    My wife and I picked up the hobby/game to have something else to do together. My dad and I used to do a lot of hunting and fishing together. I'm sure he would have enjoyed geocaching if he'd taken time to try it out a little more. My sister introduced him to it several years ago but by then his health was such that he wasn't interested. He would have had the best GPS out there if he had been in better health.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    The first cache that I took my Mom and Dad out on he fell in the woods and hurt his shoulder. That just gave him time to get his own GPS'r while it heeled and now they are both hooked. It is a great way to spend time with family and the geocaching community here in maine is a great one. I have met wonderful people from everywhere and the ones on this forum have a wealth of information that they just cant wait to share. DO welcome to the community and if you ever have a question just through a post on here and I'm sure you will get your answer... and maybe a little more info than what you were looking for

Unhappy He's one for you...

Caching in NH this week I found a fairly good hide, but found the coords were about 60 feet off. Several other finders also wrote the same things in their logs. So I posted my coords on my log saying good things about the hide, etc. I got an e-mail from the hider telling me they would like me to delete the coords so it would not make the cache to easy to find. If I didn't the coords they would delete my log and I would have to re-log the find. I did and rewrote the log as "Found". I really should have forwarded that e-mail to Groundspeak, but you can't fix stupid. I will just drive by that hiders caches from now on that's all. Plenty more here to find.
    Happy Trails!

I have heard of that being done - posting incorrect coords solely to make the hide tougher. From the guidelines:

Step 3 - Placing Your Cache

Once you arrive at the location of your hide, it is critical to obtain accurate GPS coordinates. This is the very heart of the activity, after all. Be aware that during bad weather, the accuracy of the GPS unit may be poor.

Some GPS units have the ability to take an average set of coordinates. If your device cannot, it is best to mark a waypoint, walk away from the location, then return and mark another waypoint. Continue marking waypoints at the location, around 7 - 10 times, and then select the best waypoint. Learn How to Average a Waypoint.

Once you have your waypoint, write it in permanent marker on the container and in the logbook. Make sure you have a copy to bring back with you. Write a few notes in the logbook if you like, place it in a zippered plastic bag for extra protection, and place it in the cache container.

Bad coords are a possibility in this game, intentionally bad coords are not in the design. I would have left my coords in the log and added that clause. If your valid log is deleted, gc.com can bring it back (deleted logs never go away, they just get hidden from view.)

The best DNFs are when you are on top of the cache and still fail. Hiders need to use their imagination if they want to hide a tougher cache, not bad coords.

EDIT: I should have added to be otherwise nice in the log; just state the facts - be clear and concise. No need to name call or be otherwise rude.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-13-2010 at 07:08 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Good course of action

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I have heard of that being done - posting incorrect coords solely to make the hide tougher. From the guidelines:

Bad coords are a possibility in this game, intentionally bad coords are not in the design. I would have left my coords in the log and added that clause. If your valid log is deleted, gc.com can bring it back (deleted logs never go away, they just get hidden from view.)
    I think coords that are intentionally off by that distance are just wrong. I'd do just as you suggest here and contact gc.com if/when the CO deletes the log.

Intentional posting a bad set of coordinates is just ridiculous.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Wow

Seriously? Someone would put in bad coords just to make a cache harder? I have a neat idea....Make the cache harder to find by camo or other means. Of course, I had a drunk teen vomit on my new Keen workshoes today, so I"m in a hateful kind of mood. (On a totally unrelated note, these Keen's have to be the most comfortable work shoe I've ever had. Just because I look like I'm wearing shoe's from Lord of the Ring's means nothing)

Maybe someone should simply move the cache to the coords listed, see if they like that.

That being said, I did really screw up the coords on a cache I planted last year and after a few days went back to see what I screwed up. Turns out that I was 110 feet off. (Hey it was cloudy) I fixed it as fast as I could.
    Geocaching Parrotheads

Why can't we get a government sponsered tick eradication program?

Default Was the kids name........

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    Seriously? Someone would put in bad coords just to make a cache harder? I have a neat idea....Make the cache harder to find by camo or other means. Of course, I had a drunk teen vomit on my new Keen workshoes today, so I"m in a hateful kind of mood. (On a totally unrelated note, these Keen's have to be the most comfortable work shoe I've ever had. Just because I look like I'm wearing shoe's from Lord of the Ring's means nothing)

Maybe someone should simply move the cache to the coords listed, see if they like that.

That being said, I did really screw up the coords on a cache I planted last year and after a few days went back to see what I screwed up. Turns out that I was 110 feet off. (Hey it was cloudy) I fixed it as fast as I could.
    ....RALPH?