vb:literal>

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Delete or not delete, that is the question

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    5 cache finds by one cacher, I won't say the name, don't know them, they're still very new with only a 100 or so finds, all in one day and word for word: " Did some caching in the rain today. Didn't SL so it didn't get soaked." (not on my caches)

Or this one "Quick find. Didn't sign log." When I inquired if there was a problem with the cache I got a not so nice response that this cacher had a hard time signing the tiny logs on nanos! Really? I think that's probably the case for most of us!!!

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse here. With over 80 caches out there I think it may be informative to understand why I have some mixed feelings about putting out anymore. While I agree with Bruce that some caches just don't provide a whole lot of inspiration for lengthy logs, ALL at least deserve a thanks, an indication that the cache was found and an indication that the log was signed unless there was a very LEGITIMATE reason the log couldn't be signed. IMHO
    Don't worry in the next software update "Sent from my mobile device" will be replaced with "Great cache, had a lot of fun finding it. Thank you for the cache" that should fix your problem.
    Moo

Here's a link to the Knowledge Book page on logging:

http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=204
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

I did 50 caches in the rain on the car series. I signed every log and managed to keep them dry even if it meant taking them back to the truck and taking extra time. I also had an individual log entry for each (no serial logs). If you like the sport and enjoy finding the caches you should enjoy letting your fellow cachers know that you appreciate the time and effort they put into hiding the cache.

It all depends on how you look at things. Like art, beauty in in the eye of the beholder.

I got into this for two reasons. First, the fun of hunting, finding and stealthily signing the cache. If no one sees me. I feel successful.

Second, I put out caches and trackables for others to find and enjoy. If all I get s SL or TNLN, fine. That shows to anyone looking through the logs what kind of person signed the log. It is all on the person signing the log. If they don't want to or have not the ambition or ability to put more or leave thanks, then so be it.

On my first cache I have gotten some great feedback along with the just SL posts. I like the kudos better than the very limited logs but that's the way it goes. People are different. Sometimes I look at the persons profile to see where they are from, what they have put out and what kinds of trackables they have been involved with. The SL posters seem to have very little to show except for numbers, or you can discover they are very limited in their writing and computer skills. I know several people that are very limited both physically and mentally where signing the physical logs and writing a flowery thank you letter is just beyond them.

I find the caches for me.

I put the caches and trackables out for every one else.

I only expect that people have fun, nothing else.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I don't take it personally, and I'm sure you were kidding when you suggested that the "Sent from mobile device" log was an expression of excitement. And I'm not suggesting for a second that there's a right and wrong way to log caches. I've deleted a grand total of 4 logs since I started placing caches, not a lot and I didn't get a kick out it, trust me. But two of the logs were bogus and two actually were "rude" for lack of better term.

The CO's that have posted to this thread that have placed caches know what this is all about....courtesy, manners and maybe even an inkling of appreciation shown in the log. Thankfully, the majority of the logs fall into those categories. If this thread "enlightens" some of the new cachers that those of us that place caches automatically receive each and every log, then maybe a bit more effort might be expended when logging.

Quote Originally Posted by team barbieri View Post
    How is that rude? They were so excited about your cache the logged it from ground zero.
    They might be thinking hey I have been reading the forums and CO's are going to delete logs if you don't log it a certain way. I think that's just rude.

Two sides to every coin....i would not take it personaly.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    If you like the sport and enjoy finding the caches you should enjoy letting your fellow cachers know that you appreciate the time and effort they put into hiding the cache.
    Exactly! The time and effort put into writing my my logs is directly proportional to the time and effort put into hiding the cache. LOL!

Default How do you feel about this "fine" log?

I was just reading all the wonderful logs of those fortunate enough to have participated in Amazing Geo Rally. Pat, Bobbi the Bold, Di and I had a blast, pure and simple, just plain fun! And while we gave it our all, we bow in tribute to Kendra and her group for their amazing tally! Over $4200 was raised for the Catch-A-Dream Foundation which will send a terminally ill child on a trip of a lifetime.

So the cache is GC1ZMXZ. Here's a log by one of the participants, speaking for himself and not the rest of his team: "Was there bright and early....Maybe if there was a little less talk at these things, we could do more CACHING? Just a thought.." Guess who? Unfortunately, I saw him live and on the trails so he found some caches but this is the type of poor taste log that's not good for the game.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

The way I see it and the only way , if you don't sign the log then you don't get credit for it ,PERIOD!!!. Delete the the log!!!
    There is no excuse for just plain laziness.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    So the cache is GC1ZMXZ. Here's a log by one of the participants, speaking for himself and not the rest of his team: "Was there bright and early....Maybe if there was a little less talk at these things, we could do more CACHING? Just a thought.." Guess who? Unfortunately, I saw him live and on the trails so he found some caches but this is the type of poor taste log that's not good for the game.
    LOL! Just read the log entry...

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    The way I see it and the only way , if you don't sign the log then you don't get credit for it ,PERIOD!!!. Delete the the log!!!
    There is no excuse for just plain laziness.
    We always read the past log entries in CacheMate before we start looking for a cache, and we usually won't attempt a cache if the last 3-4 logs have been DNF's. So we usually take note of the who "last cacher" to find the cache was.

I have to admit that lately I've seen quite a number of written logs where the "last cacher" on the online logs IS NOT the "last cacher" in the written logs - i.e., there is no log entry for that person.