vb:literal>

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Delete or not delete, that is the question

I've finally gotten one of these logs on one of my caches "sent from a mobile device" and it has reminded me of one issue with the process, but it is more of a gc.com shortfall than a problem with the cache finder.

In this particular case the finder noted it would be edited at a later date. The problem lies in the fact cache owners never get notified when a log gets edited (or even when pictures get added.) I don't often check the actual cache pages of my hides when I get finds, I just read the email. When I do I realize things have been edited or nice pictures added and I didn't realize.

So I can see where logging from your phone does give you a good time stamp of when you found the cache and keeps your finds in order - which I am anal about, I have been known to delete 20 logs to go back and re-log a cache I missed so they can all be in order. But at the same time, if you are logging this way and editing later, the cache owner may be missing out on some of the details of your log until if and when they check it online.

BTW, six days and I'm still waiting for my updated log.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I didn't realize it ever was. Perhaps someone else knows. All I know it's a great place to stop to eat once in a while. Award winning lobster rolls and portions are big enough for any appetite. Pretty darn good peanut butter pie, too!
    I really like the Eagle's Nest! Nice view too...
    "There is nothing- absolutely nothing- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats". Wind In the Willows

mapachi , I have to tell you about werewolf. me and my nephew did it and he had a great time. it was his first real geocache the other was a park and grab in topsham. but the real story is that my wife and I were walking the trail a couple of weeks later and got to the ledges as it was getting dark . I told her "lets go it is getting dark" and she say's something about there not being any goust out there. and as soon as I said they were not what I was thinking about she remembered reading your discription of placing the geocache there. I have never seen her move down the trail so fast (after smacking me as she went pastand wanting to know "why did you have to remind me of that") she heard noises behind every bush on the was down. you sure added some excitement to that followup trip to the parker pond hikes for us now. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Aren't you nice! I had a log on one of my caches that said it was frozen in and they had to use a hammer to smash it open to gain access to the log. I couldn't believe it.
    I left a log that the cache was too hard to find in the rocks so painted it orange so other cachers wouldn't have such a hard time. Of course it was April Fools Day. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    I left a log that the cache was too hard to find in the rocks so painted it orange so other cachers wouldn't have such a hard time. Of course it was April Fools Day. LOL
    Sheesh! We absolutely HATE caches in stone walls/stone bridge abutments, etc. There are SO many places you have to look.

(Of course - there have been a lot of DNF's on our "Arnold's Landing" cache - which is "in the rocks"! LOL!

Default I left a log......

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingTerry View Post
    That said I'd found the cache container and it was missing the paper log so I put one in it. Of course, the cache owner had said in the cache listing if you didn't sign the physical log your online log would be deleted. He had a batch of false caches there.

I recently visited a cache that was on my list and doing some research prior to the hunt made it even more intriguing.

I met up with a neighbor and she brought me right to where the cache had been. She told me it had been missing for about two years. There has got to be 30 logs since the cache went missing from it's hiding spot.

What is happening is that even the cache is listed as regular, blue topped Tupperware container. People are finding a small lock-n-lock, painted brown about 70 feet from the coordinates. It is a letterbox with the name of a book on the cover.

It is really laughable reading the logs and knowing that the people are just completely missing all the clues. For two tears non the less.

Do you think all those logs should be deleted?
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I recently visited a cache that was on my list and doing some research prior to the hunt made it even more intriguing.

I met up with a neighbor and she brought me right to where the cache had been. She told me it had been missing for about two years. There has got to be 30 logs since the cache went missing from it's hiding spot.

What is happening is that even the cache is listed as regular, blue topped Tupperware container. People are finding a small lock-n-lock, painted brown about 70 feet from the coordinates. It is a letterbox with the name of a book on the cover.

It is really laughable reading the logs and knowing that the people are just completely missing all the clues. For two tears non the less.

Do you think all those logs should be deleted?
    The logs should be deleted and the cache archived if the owner isn't maintaining it or has left the caching world.

I emailed a few finders on Old470 whose log sounded like they had found the letterbox instead of the cache. IIRC, they deleted their logs and went back and found it later. Gotta love honesty. I figured it was best to talk with them before just deleting the logs.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I figured it was best to talk with them before just deleting the logs.
    When Brdad speaks, people LISTEN! LOL!