vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RE: Wireless Routers

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Bruce, some local providers actually probhibit this without paying for wireless capability. How, I don't know. I didn't realize you can restrict the connection. My parents live down in Bristol and have Tidewater Telcom. The modem they were given only allows for a direct connection from the phone jack to the modem to the PC. Anything else in line to the PC somehow stops them from running wireless without paying extra. I think this is crazy but somehow they can stop it. I've tried with two different routers and a bunch of different software options and can't make it work. They called to find out why and were told they dont pay for the wireless service so they wouldnt be able to put any other devices in the line to the pc itself. I think they do this to combat those that dont want home phone but still want the wireless highspeed. Trying to get every bit of access they can out of people.
    I'm not sure what your parents have, but there is really no way how can they limit it your connection just for one PC. If it's locked on mac address then set that mac address on your router.
    Moo

My sister-in-law has cable internet, and we had to do just what Cano suggested. I set up internet on the PC, then connected the router between and changed the mac address of the router to match that of the PC so the cable modem thinks it is still connected to the PC.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    My sister-in-law has cable internet, and we had to do just what Cano suggested. I set up internet on the PC, then connected the router between and changed the mac address of the router to match that of the PC so the cable modem thinks it is still connected to the PC.
    Well, I went to eBay and put in a bid on the router Cano suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    If it's locked on mac address then set that mac address on your router.
    What is a mac address, Michal?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    A "Media Access Control" address is like a digital serial number for a network interface. They are programmed into the device by the manufacturer to ID that device in a network.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    it's a serial number of a network device

you can get it by typingipconfig -all in command line, you should see something like Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-E8-1A-2B-3C

if your router supports mac cloning, enter that number there.
    Moo

DD-WRT is amazing I swear by it. I have tried out several other open firmwares like tomato and that does pretty well too.

If you need help flashing your wireless router PM me btw

I'd wait to flash the thing after you get it and a web cam hooked up.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    I'd wait to flash the thing after you get it and a web cam hooked up.
    Sheesh! I'll bet the pictures from your webcam would be interesting!

(But I won the bid on the router - It will be interesting to see if it's better than what I have now...)