vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GeoTrails & GeoTrash

Default Actually....

Quote Originally Posted by fins2right View Post
    While I do have an issue with caches in trash or trashy areas (I once found a cache in Bangor, lodged in a water filled tire teaming with mosquito larva. I called the cache "Dante's 5th level of hell" in the log ) I'm going out on a limb here with geotrails. Don't care. While I 100% agree that we should take all due care with other peoples property and that tearing up a rock wall is the acme of foolishness, leaving trails on the ground happens. How often? I walked the perimeter of the field behind my parents house in Hampden this weekend. I counted 6 deer trails in a 30 foot section. 2 of which were beaten right down to the mud. (and the neighbor has a nice new treestand facing them.) Trails happen, and my guess is that the deer simply don't care. Trails have happened since the beginning of time. We are not in the Tundra, where wagon trails from the 1800's still remain. We are in Maine. My guess is that there is more area paved over for empty big box store parking lots in Bangor than all of the geotrails combined. There has been controversy about ATV trails, snowmobile trails, the Appalachian trail, ect. Me? I'm comfortable with my "footprint". As for trash, nothing drives me up the wall faster than going a few feet off the road, looking down an embankment and finding old TV's, mattresses, ect. While I understand that it's hard for some folks to pay for disposal of heavy waste (My school district is storing old computers on a broken down bus because we don't have disposal fee's in the budget, and it would cost thousands), There has got to be a better way.

Wow, I had not idea I felt this way until I started typing. Sorry if I came off as "Toolish" (Kidding)
    We agree more than not. Trails happen, I'm fine with that. However, I do take issue when someone else's property is damaged or destroyed all in the name of "making the find". The excuse "Oh, it's vacant, it's no big deal" doesn't cut it with me.

Yeah....how does one CITO out a full size couch out of the woods...far enough in that it took me 15 minutes to walk in. Go figure.

Again....I defer to responsible caching.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    Yeah....how does one CITO out a full size couch out of the woods...far enough in that it took me 15 minutes to walk in. Go figure.

Remind me to call you next time i move!
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Lightbulb My policy...

I have a personal policy on woods hides. I try to pass this along to those I cache with. Concerning hides in a wooded area, if it doesn't look like it hasn't been moved then the cache is not likely there. This applies to rocks, logs, stumps, etc. Step back and look for what is out of place. Many times I trust the hiders GPS as well as my own to having good coords. Not always the case as we all know. At which time you usually have to expand the search area.

On one of my Rt 2 Tour caches the cache was in the top of a tall stump. Went to check on it recently and the stump was beaten down to the ground. Wow! Was that necessary? It was a good sized container and sitting right in the top. This is one of the reasons I can't stand these so called evil hides of micros in the woods. Taking a film can and putting it on one of a hundred possible locations. Some people are going to get frustrated and tear things up. I personally don't cache that way. I get frustrated and log my DNF. I hate DNF's but they are just part of the game. OK there is my rant of the day.
    Happy Trails!

Default Bingo!

Brad has this 100% right. If it's a micro in the woods and not obvious, I personally believe the cache placer should "average" it for a solid 5 minutes and give a solid hint that even a lawyer will understand!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I have a personal policy on woods hides. I try to pass this along to those I cache with. Concerning hides in a wooded area, if it doesn't look like it hasn't been moved then the cache is not likely there. This applies to rocks, logs, stumps, etc. Step back and look for what is out of place. Many times I trust the hiders GPS as well as my own to having good coords. Not always the case as we all know. At which time you usually have to expand the search area.

On one of my Rt 2 Tour caches the cache was in the top of a tall stump. Went to check on it recently and the stump was beaten down to the ground. Wow! Was that necessary? It was a good sized container and sitting right in the top. This is one of the reasons I can't stand these so called evil hides of micros in the woods. Taking a film can and putting it on one of a hundred possible locations. Some people are going to get frustrated and tear things up. I personally don't cache that way. I get frustrated and log my DNF. I hate DNF's but they are just part of the game. OK there is my rant of the day.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Brad has this 100% right. If it's a micro in the woods and not obvious, I personally believe the cache placer should "average" it for a solid 5 minutes and give a solid hint that even a lawyer will understand!
    WOW that would have to be some hint!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post

Illustrates my point. And.....rant away, Brad. Always enjoy your posts and point of views.

Default Well, you know....

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Thinking of another thread that talks about caches with deliberately incorrect coordinates to "make the find harder"...

Some of the worst geotrails we've seen lately were where the coordinates were off quite a bit, and a number of cachers had been searching near "ground zero", i.e., rocks turned over, stumps torn apart, ground well tromped on, etc.
    This is a little bit of a pet peeve of mine. Placer wants a "difficult to find" or mischievous cache but doesn't have enough creativity to fashion one. So, next best thing.....inaccurate coords. Yeah....ok. "You sure fooled me".

When I see this written, I'm reminded of a comment Gob-bler made a while back.....and I may be para-phrasing....."People place caches to be found". I think that sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Thinking of another thread that talks about caches with deliberately incorrect coordinates to "make the find harder"...

Some of the worst geotrails we've seen lately were where the coordinates were off quite a bit, and a number of cachers had been searching near "ground zero", i.e., rocks turned over, stumps torn apart, ground well tromped on, etc.

I have a "hide in plain sight" cache Hidden on one side of the middle of a bridge that is on a country dirt road.
    I deliberately took the coords in the center of the bridge, so whichever side you are on, your GPSr points to the other side. Did I say it's a 4 difficulty?
    No geo-trail there or damage to the bridge either........Is this wrong?

I was surprised when , a couple of months ago, I wrote that I had a cache where I put incorrect coords! I expected more flac or questions. Serious Tool made a comment and then nothing...... till now.
    I feel better now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    I have a "hide in plain sight" cache Hidden on one side of the middle of a bridge that is on a country dirt road.
    I deliberately took the coords in the center of the bridge, so whichever side you are on, your GPSr points to the other side. Did I say it's a 4 difficulty?
    No geo-trail there or damage to the bridge either........Is this wrong?

I was surprised when , a couple of months ago, I wrote that I had a cache where I put incorrect coords! I expected more flac or questions. Serious Tool made a comment and then nothing...... till now.
    I feel better now!
    You're just a rebel, aren't you?

I would never hide a cache with the coords off by 60 feet! Least wise not intentionally!
    The bridge cache (Bend in the 7) is off by 6 feet (with-in parameters)
    I'll give a hint...It's on the left side depending which direction you are headed!