vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: using QR codes on geocoins and travell bugs

Default using QR codes on geocoins and travell bugs

I would be great to have a QR code on geocoins and travel bugs that will bring you to the geocaching site to log the item. Imagine at the event, just scan the item, click log as discovered or what ever and done. No more writing down all codes. TBs already have some fake bar code or something on it. Why not QR codes.

http://www.ingwer.ch/geo/coins/10_ye...g_geocoin.html

I guess the guy who blurred the code didn't know QR codes support error correction when part of the code is destroyed, LOL.
    Moo

You just have QR codes on the brain lately!
    I'd ask if you had a QR code tattoo, but I really don't want t know.

How small could you make a QR code and still have it able to be decoded by a phone without magnification?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    You just have QR codes on the brain lately!
    I'd ask if you had a QR code tattoo, but I really don't want t know.

How small could you make a QR code and still have it able to be decoded by a phone without magnification?
    I like the idea of easy data access, QR code is just one instance how it could be done. It's universal, cheap and easy to implement. How small it could be depends on many factors like light conditions and of course camera quality in the cellphone. With fixed focus camera you might be able to read as small as 1 mm. I have focus camera on my cellphone and I can read QR code with 0.5 mm module size, maybe even smaller under good light conditions.
    Moo

So as far as coins are concerned, it would seem that the size limitation would be in the resolution capabilities of the coin die, which would probably be 3/4 inch minimum perhaps.

It seems at least one QR code pathtag has been made, so that must be about 3/4 inch.

Last edited by brdad; 10-26-2010 at 02:01 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    So as far as coins are concerned, it would seem that the size limitation would be in the resolution capabilities of the coin die, which would probably be 3/4 inch minimum perhaps.

It seems at least one QR code pathtag has been made, so that must be about 3/4 inch.

you don't need to encode whole congress library into it 21 module size (the smallest possible) should be enough to encode URL, I use this size on my stickers. Also there is a micro QR code version

just 11 modules wide
    Moo

Well, lets ask the geocoin guy ;-)
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Cano, does the 11 module version have the same info, but lose redundancy, or just much less info than the 21 module version?
    Also, you said you can manually decode this without a computer. I tried Googling that topic and can't find anything. Can you steer me to a site that describes the technique, sounds interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Cano, does the 11 module version have the same info, but lose redundancy, or just much less info than the 21 module version?
    Also, you said you can manually decode this without a computer. I tried Googling that topic and can't find anything. Can you steer me to a site that describes the technique, sounds interesting!
    11 module can handle only 5 digit number with no error correction
    13 module can handle 10 numeric or 6 alphanumeric characters with ECC (good for tracking number)

21 module version can handle 25 alphanumeric characters with low redundancy or 10 with high redundancy. Should be enough to encode URL

If you want specification, search for ISO/IEC18004
    Moo

Shucks, Cano took those words right out of my mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    11 module can handle only 5 digit number with no error correction
    13 module can handle 10 numeric or 6 alphanumeric characters with ECC (good for tracking number)

21 module version can handle 25 alphanumeric characters with low redundancy or 10 with high redundancy. Should be enough to encode URL

If you want specification, search for ISO/IEC18004
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Still didn't see anything that describes how to manually read the codes. Am I missing something here?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.