vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next thing... Caches that find themselves. No humans needed!

Hybrid View

Arrow Next thing... Caches that find themselves. No humans needed!

Check out this latest innovation from Garmin here.

At $23 retail I wonder if these would catch on. The guy in the video says with the Chirp you can spend less time entering coords for a multi and have time to find more caches. Whew! I was spending way too much of my day on that.
    Happy Trails!

Yeah, we were talking about this in national chat last night. It is actually not a horrible price, but I am not sure it's any less prone to being taken than a traditional stage of a multi, possibly more prone to it. But depending on how much and what additional data can be sent from it, it might have other uses.
    Last edited by brdad; 10-15-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Thumbs up Where do you come up with this stuff..

I love your new tag line Dave...
    Happy Trails!

You can now create a cache which can only be found by high end Garmin devices!

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    Well, Magellans were never known for finding caches anyway.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Ummmm

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Well, Magellans were never known for finding caches anyway.
    My Magellan finds caches as good as Pam's Garmin. Haven't compared it to my Oregon yet since my sister has the Magellan to "see if she likes Geocaching". What my Magellan did that pushed me away from it was acquire satellites so slowly that we sat around waiting for it to be ready to go. I heard that I should be turning it on and off in the same general area. Nope, that didn't do it. If I had to change batteries, another long wait while it acquired satellites. I wouldn't have switched to Garmin if it hadn't been for that.

Quote Originally Posted by lexmano View Post
    Or a high end smart phone that Cano is mentioning to read a QR code. What's the sense?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Any new product is bound to have limitations but often their successors will have more features and be more compatible. For that reason I'm keeping an open mind about this.

However, I do fear that it might be one step closer to a prediction I have made before... These things being planted on every telephone pole, guard rail, and street sign and people being able to log them just by driving by them and calling it a find. I'm just hoping the new lamecaching.com site is up before then!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Any new product is bound to have limitations but often their successors will have more features and be more compatible. For that reason I'm keeping an open mind about this.

However, I do fear that it might be one step closer to a prediction I have made before... These things being planted on every telephone pole, guard rail, and street sign and people being able to log them just by driving by them and calling it a find. I'm just hoping the new lamecaching.com site is up before then!
    Technology has been here for quite a while, only you need is any bluetooth device as a beacon and any bluetooth enabled cellphone to register it when you drive by. It's cheap and accessible and yet I still see no caches like this
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Or a high end smart phone that Cano is mentioning to read a QR code. What's the sense?
    Except QR codes are open, anybody can implement reader in any device with camera without paying any license to anyone, you don't need a high end phone for that. You don't even need any device either, all you need is a pen and paper and decode it by hand if you want to.
    Moo