vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: using QR codes on geocoins and travell bugs

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    TBs already have some fake bar code or something on it.
    Anyone know if the bar code on the TB tag has any real meaning? I'll bet Brdad - who lurks on the national geocaching chats - would know. Right?

Interesting. My android's barcode scanner can read the regular size but not the micro size and I tried multiple scanners. I'd like to see what it manually takes to read these as well.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Anyone know if the bar code on the TB tag has any real meaning? I'll bet Brdad - who lurks on the national geocaching chats - would know. Right?
    As I recall, people tried to decode the TB bar code and it was revealed to say

"STOP WITH THE FREAKIN' LAME MICROS ALREADY!"

Ok, it was really revealed that is was not a authentic bar code at all, so it reads nothing.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I like your rendition better though...LOL
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    Interesting. My android's barcode scanner can read the regular size but not the micro size and I tried multiple scanners. I'd like to see what it manually takes to read these as well.
    I can't decode the micro (damn micros) QR code either, tried 3 different readers, even ZXing (Zebra crossing) doesn't support it. Only what is left is do it manually, however the one I posted cannot be decoded, I just cut it from a bigger one so checksums will not match.

How QR codes are made.
    Here is an article how to create a level 1 QR code. http://www.swetake.com/qr/qr1_en.html I guess micro QR will work the same way.

If you want to decode it, just do the same in reverse order. A large portion of the article is about error correcting codes and verification checksums. Little bit of math, but you don't need that, since you will be decoding a QR code that is not damaged.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    I would be great to have a QR code on geocoins and travel bugs that will bring you to the geocaching site to log the item. Imagine at the event, just scan the item, click log as discovered or what ever and done. No more writing down all codes. TBs already have some fake bar code or something on it. Why not QR codes.

http://www.ingwer.ch/geo/coins/10_ye...g_geocoin.html

I guess the guy who blurred the code didn't know QR codes support error correction when part of the code is destroyed, LOL.
    I like the idea of a barcode or QR for travel bugs. It would make it a lot easier at events when there are so many to discover

I say embed the coin with a microchip like they have for animals, then maybe they won't get lost

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup View Post
    I say embed the coin with a microchip like they have for animals, then maybe they won't get lost
    You know, that's not out of the realm of a possibility.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default 4 out of 5 cachers agree....

Quote Originally Posted by team moxiepup View Post
    ....that's a great idea.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    You know, that's not out of the realm of a possibility.
    Sheesh! I think we should imbed Haffy with a microchip...