vb:literal>

Thread: Confused about my Identity

Default Confused about my Identity

Hi, this is my first post. I am a very newbie, geo-wannabie.
    A friend found a geocache in the muggley way a few weeks ago, looked the activity up on-line, told me about it. I got a copy of "Tish Plays the Game" at the Mystery Cove Bookstore and decided I could do as well as Tish with fewer damages.
    The problem so far (I haven't yet found a cache by myself but that's not the problem) I registered with a user name and password at Geocaching.com and then I found GeocachinginMaine.com and that user name and password did not work, so I created a new code name and password for this Maine group. Was that a mistake? Should I try to delete one of those identities, or do I use a separate identity for each website?
    I hope to find a geocache someday soon, and I would like to log it correctly.
    Thanks for any help and advice.
    Carol in Maine or SFTA2010 (take your pick)

Hi, Carol!

To quickly answer a couple of your questions...

Geocaching.com is the main, worldwide geocaching web site. It hosts all the information regarding geocaches, etc.

GeocachingMaine.org is a loosely associated group of (mostly) Maine geocachers. On GCM.org, we chat, plan local geocaching events, and generally talk about Maine geocaching.

Don't delete either identity. Both web sites are very important for Maine geocachers.

I usually send a welcome message to all new members of GCM.org, and I think I sent you one on Oct 10th. It should answer a lot of your questions. (If you don't have it, let me know and I'll resend.)

Welcome, Carol in Maine. The most important aspect of geocaching is this.....have fun!!!

Welcome to Geocaching (the sport) and welcome to geocachingmaine.org (this site where geocachers come to discuss any/all geocaching matters). I go by EMSDanel on both sites and to simplify things you could probably use the same moniker on both if you'd like. I have no idea why your original attempt "did not work" unless someone already had the same name?

Welcome to site and the addiction!

There are to different sites as has been mentioned.

You can use either user name here. Using the same name you use at geocaching.com often saves confusion, but it is not required.

You can add your geocaching.com name in control panel so it will link to your account there.

Alternatively, If you would like your account here changed to Carol in Maine, let me know and I can change it for you.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by SFTA2010 View Post
    Hi, this is my first post. I am a very newbie, geo-wannabie.
    A friend found a geocache in the muggley way a few weeks ago, looked the activity up on-line, told me about it. I got a copy of "Tish Plays the Game" at the Mystery Cove Bookstore and decided I could do as well as Tish with fewer damages.
    The problem so far (I haven't yet found a cache by myself but that's not the problem) I registered with a user name and password at Geocaching.com and then I found GeocachinginMaine.com and that user name and password did not work, so I created a new code name and password for this Maine group. Was that a mistake? Should I try to delete one of those identities, or do I use a separate identity for each website?
    I hope to find a geocache someday soon, and I would like to log it correctly.
    Thanks for any help and advice.
    Carol in Maine or SFTA2010 (take your pick)
    Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Welcome to Geocaching (the sport) and welcome to geocachingmaine.org (this site where geocachers come to discuss any/all geocaching matters). I go by EMSDanel on both sites and to simplify things you could probably use the same moniker on both if you'd like. I have no idea why your original attempt "did not work" unless someone already had the same name?
    Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Welcome to site and the addiction!

There are to different sites as has been mentioned.

You can use either user name here. Using the same name you use at geocaching.com often saves confusion, but it is not required.

You can add your geocaching.com name in control panel so it will link to your account there.

Alternatively, If you would like your account here changed to Carol in Maine, let me know and I can change it for you.
    The geocaching.com site and geocachingmaine.com site are only connected by the sport. The password from the geocaching.com site will not work here until you set up a new account with the name and password you want. If what ever handle you tried was all ready taken then a different name on here would need to be used.

You will discover a few things like this when you get more experience with this adventure. There are coins which have a serial number and can be tracked or watched to see where the coins have been and placed into caches. Then there are a smaller coin called path tags. These also have a serial number on them but are not connected to the geocaching.com web site directly so you can not enter the number on the trackable part of that site. You have to go to the pathtags.com website. Then there is a coin put out by this site that also can not be tracked on the geocaching.com web site.

Don't worry about any of that now. You have come to the right place to ask questions. The people on here know everything. If they don't they sure know where to get the answers. Just ask.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 10-30-2010 at 11:46 AM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.