vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my first hunting season

Question my first hunting season

I do almost all of my geocaching so far in the woods and hiking trails. Would I be stupid to stop for the next month because of hunting season? I have had Non-geocachers tell me that as long as me and my geo-pooch wear orange we will be fine, others have said that so many out of staters shoot at anything that moves I need to stay out of the woods for hunting season. maybe they just don't want me tromping through their hunting grounds and spooking the deer.I only hear about 1 or 2 hunting accidents a year so I think my odds would be pretty good of not getting shot. The thought of trying geocaching at night might be a different experiance also.

My theory is that a high persentage of the people that would be dumb enough to shoot at an unknown target are probably the same that hunt out of season, on Sundays, and in areas off limit to hunting.

You should always be alert, you are never 100% safe even out of season. But I would not let that stop my caching in or out of season!

Wearing orange during hunting season at least helps the good, observant hunters make a better first opinion of what they see.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

thanks for the advice. that was about what i was thinking but wasn't really sure. My geo-pooch will be glad because he loves hiking in the woods.almost as much as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by surfacewarrior View Post
    I do almost all of my geocaching so far in the woods and hiking trails. Would I be stupid to stop for the next month because of hunting season?
    I don't think so.

I used to be an avid hunter but don't go out much these days. Hunters look for movement. If what they see is BRIGHT ORANGE, they're not going to shoot.

So, I advise - instead of just wearing a blaze orange hat - that you invest in a jacket or vest. The more color, the easier it is to see you.

As for your dog, a blaze orange wrap will never hurt, and make sure he/she stays right beside you - not running free.

Also, bring a big old fashioned Boom Box (antique I-Pod with speakers)...crank out some Dick Curliss music! For God's sake don't play any rap!! They will definitely shoot you!

thanks for the reasurance guy's. another quick question , Who thought up the JOANI Nano? I found my first one today down in newington NH and who ever said "lets make them find a tube the size of a pencil eraser was a sick person. hahahaha I found it though.

Default You know,

Blaze orange and common sense go a long way.....
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

We came across some, dare I say it here, flatlanders on our travels on opening day...residents only day. They had absolutely no orange on themselves or their dog. The dog was loose and absolutely not under their control. It had generous amounts of white fur. If you've ever seen a Bernese Mountain Dog you'll see what we saw. They were on the roads in the area behind Sugarloaf. All logging company roads. They had just as much right to be there as I did. And, in my case, they were just as safe as they would have been in July. I don't shoot at a flash of white. Should they have taken steps to ensure they were seen as people with a pet. Probably. They only knew that hunting season starts November 1st. They had no clue that Residents Only Day was in full swing. We let them know it was, indeed, deer season and then wished them a good day and moved on. They were on a well travelled road and headed back to their vehicle.

In my humble experience, out-of-state tourists don't have much to worry about. There is not much meat/weight there once you dress them out - so for experienced hunters they're not worth the cost of your shell.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    In my humble experience, out-of-state tourists don't have much to worry about. There is not much meat/weight there once you dress them out - so for experienced hunters they're not worth the cost of your shell.

And the meat you get is a little tough and chewy
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright