vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Groundspeak Ban

Default Groundspeak Ban

Just an update. Groundspeak upped my ban from 14 days to 30 days and will not give me a specific reason why or carry on a communication with me about it.

When you are banned, can people still fine and log caches that you are owner of? I'm hoping to be in southern ME and find a couple of your hides next weekend.

Yes, you can still log caches owned by someone who is banned.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

TY! Let the quest begin!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    Just an update. Groundspeak upped my ban from 14 days to 30 days and will not give me a specific reason why or carry on a communication with me about it.

Curiousier and curiousier.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    Curiousier and curiousier.
    where is the national enquirer when u need answers

Default Bans

Having spent a number of years in a volunteer position in a help channel on IRC I can tell you that a ban being placed is generally because the person placing said ban either had justification or the perception of justification for their action. Attempts at communication that appear to the person you're trying to communicate with as being badgering, even if that wasn't your intention, can end up extending the ban. I am not arguing right or wrong on Groundspeak's part or yours, Chadd. Just stating the facts as I have seen them unfold when similar actions have been placed. Once they "have their back up", as the saying goes, you might just be better off to ride out the ban.

Default Well said Kev.

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    Having spent a number of years in a volunteer position in a help channel on IRC I can tell you that a ban being placed is generally because the person placing said ban either had justification or the perception of justification for their action. Attempts at communication that appear to the person you're trying to communicate with as being badgering, even if that wasn't your intention, can end up extending the ban. I am not arguing right or wrong on Groundspeak's part or yours, Chadd. Just stating the facts as I have seen them unfold when similar actions have been placed. Once they "have their back up", as the saying goes, you might just be better off to ride out the ban.
    After the ban was imposed Chadd did make pointed inquiries and forceful comments regarding those he felt had complained to Groundspeak about him. After a couple of days he simply resigned himself to riding this out. However the effects of his initial reaction made their way to TPTB and bingo, now it is thirty days.

After the first couple days of shock and indignation, Chadd really has been a model citizen. It is unfortunate that his initial reaction may have worked to extend his ban.

That is unless they have received recent complaints about him. If they have received them, they probably are not justified. However they will not discuss with him who has complained or when the conduct complained about occurred. So he is really powerless to address the basis of the ban extension, if not based on his initial reaction. If he expresses outrage and frustration it can, in and of itself, justify further suspension in their minds.

So Chadd, Kev (a fellow JarHead) has basically given you good advice. Suck it up and take it, no matter how wrong it is!

If you are a paying member you should have the right to at least know the circumstaces of why the ban is longer. Otherwise it is pointless, How do you correct your behavior if you dont know what it is you did wrong

Oh. I am sucking it up.

Since I am banned currently, I cannot access Geocaching.com which means that I cannot use their tools such as messages to other members or on the forums. However I did recieve a response from Jenn at Groundspeak. It simply said that private messaging via Geocaching.com or Groundspeak Forums were covered by their Terms of Usage.

Considering I cannot USE their website right now, I don't know how they think I could have sent private messages to anyone since the ban began.

My initial reaction to the ban was not even aimed or sent to Geocaching.com, or Groundspeak, as Ed speaks of. It was on facebook and to various friends. It did not use Geocaching.com as a means of conveying my anger. Hence, I do not know how they can sanction me for my expression of opinions not even through them. They can only control and sanction actions through their website.

After talking to another cacher who I am close with, I am starting to believe that this is actually someone setting me up. It isn't hard to fake an e-mail as if it went through the Geocaching website from me, and then send it onto the Powers that Be at Groundspeak. I guess we shall see if in early December, my 30 ban suddenly grows to a 60 or 90 day ban without explanation. If it does, you will see a different reaction than you are right now.... and probably from other cachers as well.