vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Groundspeak Ban

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    When you are banned, can people still fine and log caches that you are owner of? I'm hoping to be in southern ME and find a couple of your hides next weekend.
    I have done significant amounts of cache repair on my caches in the last two weeks here in Southern Maine. Too bad I can't re-activate any of the disabled ones until after the ban lifts!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I have done significant amounts of cache repair on my caches in the last two weeks here in Southern Maine. Too bad I can't re-activate any of the disabled ones until after the ban lifts!
    I was able to find one or two that had been disabled last week. I noticed that ProperWaas posted a note on one of your caches (Santa's Workshop) that it had been repaired but could not be reactivated because of the ban, and I was able to find it.

So, Duzfor, if you see one of Chadd's caches that have been temporarily disabled, check to see if a note has been posted about it's repair.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

In the midst of a recent squabble with another cacher, that cacher received a supposed note from me in the middle of an exchange via geo.com ( one of the "noreply" messages you get when you email through the site) that was NOT from me! I'm am probably one of the least savvy computer operators playing the game so I have no idea how that could have happened but it was unnerving to say the least. Maybe brdad would know or explain how that sort of thing could happen.

So if it happened to me, it could happen to Chadd or anybody else.

Ed ( lexmano ) and myself are somewhat compelled due to our choice of careers to wonder why accusers can't be confronted. While Chadd certainly has his moments when many might conclude he's out of line, he has not done anything in his "public" posts on here and FB that were out of line since his suspension.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

If no one else has your password to geocaching.com, they are pretty hard pressed to be able to send an email through that account.

However, there are ways to "spoof" an email address. A lot of spammers do it, pretending to be a bank, Ebay, Paypal, etc. I'm sure someone willing could make up an email to look like it came from gc.com. I do not think it is real hard to do - I am not sure because I never have had the desire to do that, especially when it comes to cachers, this is just a silly game after all. If this person still has the email, Dan, perhaps gc.com should look at it and determine if it came from your account or was spoofed. They should be able to tell easily. When in doubt, change your password!

Chad's situation is a bit different in that PMs were sent, which I'm guessing would be much harder to spoof. I think the offender would need the password for his account to make that happen. I have another theory that is totally different, but I really don't care to bring it into this thread.

I will back up Dan's statement by saying I have not had to edit or delete any of Chad's posts lately. I hesitated allowing this thread after the last one went downhill so fast, it is good to see the discussion remain calm. Although I still wish all parties continuing to participate in this hoopla would grow up.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Democracy

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Ed ( lexmano ) and myself are somewhat compelled due to our choice of careers to wonder why accusers can't be confronted.
    I'm not going to attempt to justify, clarify or defend either Groundspeak's actions or Chadd's. That is strictly between them.

In a generalized train of thought..... Those of us who believe in democracy and the ideals our country was founded on can have a hard time accepting things of this nature. If you look at the internet as a dictatorship it becomes a little clearer. Entity A developes a site on the internet. Entity A says this is how my site will run, these are my ideas. Along comes Entity B. Entity B wants to join Entity A's site and is allowed to. Suddenly, Entity A removes access to the site for Entity B without saying why. Here's where the dictatorship comes in. The site was founded by Entity A, not by Entities A and B in a joint or democratic venture. It's Entity A's ballgame and he/she makes *ALL* the rules. Our thoughts on what is right or wrong matter very little to Entity A.

With respect to the e-mail issue, the manipulation of e-mails on a "secure" site would fall under the heading of "hacked". As good as the security is on any internet site is, there's a hacker out there who is, at least for a little while, better. It could be Chadd. It could be Dan, who, being the somewhat intelligent person he is, claims to not be computer savvy enough to do so. It could be the Pope, or G.W.B. or ....... If Chadd has been a victim here of that sort of activity, it could very well come out in the wash, eventually. After all, look at the mass logging we experience recently. The internet is, and probably always will be, a magnet to people who use unscrupulous (sp) methods to get their point across or to just get their jollies.

Or "spoofed", like brdad says.

Default It's true, it's true!

Dan is correct here! It took me 15 minutes at the GSAK event to explain to Dan why he could not put his candy wrappers in the recycle bin on his desktop!
    (Sorry Dan, I was set up!)

Quote Originally Posted by JustKev View Post
    It could be Dan, who, being the somewhat intelligent person he is, claims to not be computer savvy enough to do so.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    If no one else has your password to geocaching.com, they are pretty hard pressed to be able to send an email through that account.

However, there are ways to "spoof" an email address. A lot of spammers do it, pretending to be a bank, Ebay, Paypal, etc. I'm sure someone willing could make up an email to look like it came from gc.com. I do not think it is real hard to do - I am not sure because I never have had the desire to do that, especially when it comes to cachers, this is just a silly game after all. If this person still has the email, Dan, perhaps gc.com should look at it and determine if it came from your account or was spoofed. They should be able to tell easily. When in doubt, change your password!

Chad's situation is a bit different in that PMs were sent, which I'm guessing would be much harder to spoof. I think the offender would need the password for his account to make that happen. I have another theory that is totally different, but I really don't care to bring it into this thread.

I will back up Dan's statement by saying I have not had to edit or delete any of Chad's posts lately. I hesitated allowing this thread after the last one went downhill so fast, it is good to see the discussion remain calm. Although I still wish all parties continuing to participate in this hoopla would grow up.
    Yes, they would need my password. However, even with the password, one cannot log into my account right now, or since my ban began on the 27th! So if I cannot log onto it to send PMs, how could anyone else do so?

You wouldn't even have to "hack" to fake a PM. Just a simple cut and paste job of the headers of a previous PM sent through Geocaching.com into a forwarded "e-mail" to Groundspeak could make it appear that I had sent PMs through their site.

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    You wouldn't even have to "hack" to fake a PM. Just a simple cut and paste job of the headers of a previous PM sent through Geocaching.com into a forwarded "e-mail" to Groundspeak could make it appear that I had sent PMs through their site.
    The thing there is, gc.com can still tell whether that email was originally sent through their servers. They know who was logged in and for how long and what they did while they were there.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I believe you Brdad. I know that. But if someone just just sending them or forwarding them these fake e-mails, who knows if they even BOTHER to check if I as logged in or where the email really came from? They seem to be pre-disposed to just believe without verification.

And as I said before. I cannot log in anyways right now so how would be sending messages through their site? Then again, I havent even tried to log in since the ban began so I guess I really do not know if I can't log in or not! ha ha