vb:literal>

Thread: PN 60 Upgrade

Default PN 60 Upgrade

I am thinking about upgrading to a PN 60 from a 40. The 40 eats batteries like crazy. Has anyone tried tried the 60 and if so, what are your thoughts, both positive and neg on it?

much better on the batteries...it has a different power saving mode which seems to work well. The user interface is much improved as well. The 60 w/spot is interesting, but a little expensive. If you hike a lot in remote places w/o cell coverage it might be a great addition...Akso, if you use DeLorme's Topo, it has a good new syncing feature...if you use GSAK you might not need it, but it does download PQ's directly to TOPO and the pn60.

Don't really need spot, as I have a PLB if I get into real trouble. Thanks for your thoughts. Will I find it to be the same size, feel, buttons, etc, just diff hardware? In what situation would you use the power save feature?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHorwich View Post
    much better on the batteries...it has a different power saving mode which seems to work well. The user interface is much improved as well. The 60 w/spot is interesting, but a little expensive. If you hike a lot in remote places w/o cell coverage it might be a great addition...Akso, if you use DeLorme's Topo, it has a good new syncing feature...if you use GSAK you might not need it, but it does download PQ's directly to TOPO and the pn60.
    The TOPO syncing feature is almost a waste of time, considering you can just drag and drop a PQ or a GSAK created GPX file ( 1500 caches vs the 1000 max of a Groundspeak PQ) right to the unit which takes 10 seconds, as opposed to several minutes if not more using the TOPO sync which TeamHorwich speaks of.... come on Jim. Get with the program!

Honestly, unless you are using the SPOT, the PN-60/PN-60w really isnt worth upgrading to, unless you just want a fancier screen, better battery life (the 40 with Lithiums doesn't suck down juice all that bad), and a slightly larger amount of caches you can have loaded at one time. You are better off money wise to just upgrade the Firmware to 2.8 for the same file management system as the 60 which will also allow you to drag and drop GPX/PQs to your unit and keep a large amount of them on the unit so you can switch back and forth between them.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PN-60w SPOT but the 40 is just as good for normal Geocaching uses.

power save just helps conserve battery when the device is on but not moving...

Quote Originally Posted by TeamHorwich View Post
    power save just helps conserve battery when the device is on but not moving...
    Power same for SeriousTool means plugged into the Jeep's 12volt charger