vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking GPSr in "carry-on" luggage?

Default Taking GPSr in "carry-on" luggage?

Has anyone taken a GPSr onto a plane in a carry-on bag recently? I want to take mine when I go to see my grandkids over the holidays. Should I take out the batteries? I don't want to raise any issues that will delay me at the security screening.
    I travel light, with only a small carry-on or sometimes a backpack, to avoid a fee for checked luggage, and the hassle of carrying extra stuff.
    Thanks, for any feedback, SFTA2010

Quote Originally Posted by SFTA2010 View Post
    Has anyone taken a GPSr onto a plane in a carry-on bag recently? I want to take mine when I go to see my grandkids over the holidays. Should I take out the batteries? I don't want to raise any issues that will delay me at the security screening.
    I travel light, with only a small carry-on or sometimes a backpack, to avoid a fee for checked luggage, and the hassle of carrying extra stuff.
    I took mine with me when I went to Hawaii last year - and to Europe the year before. Just put it in the bin like any other carry on. No problems at all.

And it was really great using the GPSr to follow the route across country! Be sure and take it with you - and use it! LOL!

I always take two with me, but have no signal in a plane. Just take your laptop off the bag before x-ray. Also batteries must be in the original manufacturer packaging (no custom made battery packs) and I think you can't take them in checked in baggage, must take with you in carry on.
    Moo

Have never had a problem but the last time was a year ago. Took my netbook in a clamshell case and never even had to take it out of the case (just open it up and flip the cover back). The GPSr was no issue and I had 2 in my very large carry on purse (fanny pack) which fits under the seat.

Don't leave your tools for fun behind. Loose batteries are more dangerous than in something.

I've never had a problem with carrying the GPS on the plane. Each airline has there own protocol regarding carrying GPS's so if you have any doubt just check out the individual airline beforehand. I loved the last time I traveled by air. I held the GPS at the window and tracked my flight at 33,000 feet. That's looks pretty cool on the altimeter and also traveling at 530 mph that was cool as well. I asked the stewardess if she minded and we struck up a conversation for a minute and she really was impressed with the accuracy. I think I might have generated some interest for her as well regarding geocaching. She said she travels all over the country and would love to do something in between stops when she had time to spare.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Ditto the other responses. I've taken my GPS several times on a plane (all in the U.S.) with no problem. I put it in the bin with my watch, pocket change, etc.

Yep, no problems here either. I asked before hand if it needed to go in the bin and they said it "wasn't big enough" so it could stay in my carry on. Now the portable DVD player was another story - that had to come out of it's case like a laptop. No problems with either though.

Default Thanks-- GPS will make the trip

Thank you all! I wish I owned a laptop, but I don't. At least I have a GPS!
    By the way, EMSDanl- I visited your GEOrge cache Friday. I wasn't sure what to do, but I was very careful not to sign anything or leave anything after all your cautions about not logging there. I haven't logged this one on Geocaching either, since there was no way to mark the spot for verification. There were a couple of people there and one said, "Oh, I know what you are up to!" and I said, "You probably know better than I do."

Thank you all! I wish I owned a laptop, but I don't. At least I have a GPS!
    A netbook computer can be very useful when geocaching - and a lot cheaper than a laptop. Here's an example. VERY basic, but still a handy toy.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    A netbook computer can be very useful when geocaching - and a lot cheaper than a laptop. Here's an example. VERY basic, but still a handy toy.
    Except that one is running on Windows CE and is useless for geocaching or anything else :P
    Moo