vb:literal>

Thread: Garmin GPSr or iPhone- which coords?

Default Garmin GPSr or iPhone- which coords?

Wally and our dog and I looked unsuccessfully on Sunday for the Shore Path cache in Bar Harbor. The Garmin Rino130 took us to the coordinates, and so did the iPhone. The problem-- those lat/long readings were in two different spots, not even within sight of each other. And of course both places had maple trees and rocks. But the Garmin spot was not on the ocean side of the trail.
    How do you know which set of coordinates are correct? The Garmin showed signals from at least 4 satellites; the iPhone didn't give me that info.
    Sorry I was not able to get into the chat tonight. I appreciate the help, but I'm not familiar with a lot of the computer terms and procedures. I've tried to do an attachment to this message, just to see if I can make that work.
    SFTA2010
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oct30Surtsey.jpg 
Views:	381 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	546  

Assuming both units are set to the same datum and data format (hddd°mm.mmm) and that the data was entered correctly, it comes down to how fr odd you really were. Some days are jut crappy signal days. I have been 40 or 50 feet from my wife with a identical GPSr when one of us has found the cache. As you get used to caching, you'll gain geo-sense and be able to better guess where a cache probably is as well as be in sync with your GPSr and better guess when it is not telling the truth.

We all have different abilities, keep trying, don't give up! Come to an event, cachers will help you with your units, if you have a laptop, bring that and they can help you on that end too. There may be someone more local to you that could stop by as well if you'd like. We have a great group here.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by SFTA2010 View Post
    Wally and our dog and I looked unsuccessfully on Sunday for the Shore Path cache in Bar Harbor. The Garmin Rino130 took us to the coordinates, and so did the iPhone.
    I don't know squat about the iPhone, but if it were me, I'd ignore the iPhone and just go with the Garmin. It's a dedicated GPSr, while the iPhone probably just has minimal GPS circuitry.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I don't know squat about the iPhone, but if it were me, I'd ignore the iPhone and just go with the Garmin. It's a dedicated GPSr, while the iPhone probably just has minimal GPS circuitry.

This particular cache IS on the ocean side of the trail, however.
    So, I guess you could say go with the Garmin UNLESS the hint and/or description say otherwise.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Don't use the iPhone for navigating to a cache. Thats the way you know which are correct.

There have been some problems noted with the phone caching programs. Power lines give those things fits. When everything is just right the phones work great.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I do not know, I have been using my phone or caching for a year now and do not have a bit of trouble with it. seems to be just as good as my Delorme or Garmin units.