vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchmarks- off-topic at Mainegeo?

Default Benchmarks- off-topic at Mainegeo?

Is the subject of Benchmarks considered at mainegeocaching? Or is it not appropriate for discussion on this site. I know that the Geocaching.com has a place for it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M94.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	551  

Feel free to use the general geocaching discussion are of the forums for benchmark discussion. If it turns into a popular thing, we can add a new category. I did 6, all in one day, but that was just to log the easternmost US benchmarks, and that was waaaaay back 09/07/2002!
    Last edited by brdad; 11-17-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I did 6, all in one day, but that was just to log the easternmost US benchmarks, and that was waaaaay back 09/07/2002!
    Sheesh! You really can remember that far back?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! You really can remember that far back?
    Heck no, but I remember gc.com keeps records of it!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I haven't bothered with benchmarks yet.... mainly because they don't count as a "find" on Geocaching.com ha!

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I haven't bothered with benchmarks yet.... mainly because they don't count as a "find" on Geocaching.com ha!
    I am quite certain that is the reason many people don't do them. It's probably the reason I did log the ones I did yet never logged a locationless cache. Benchmarking is not geocaching in my book, and neither were locationless caches. But locationless caches did count toward your numbers, so I refused to do any. Benchmarks can be hard to find and often take some research to complete and I can see where some people have dun doing them. But for me I think it is missing that personal factor, with geocaches someone placed something intentionally for you to go look for.

The most famous locationless cache?
    Yellow Jeep Fever (Locationless) (GC3FFB) by Team CBX2 (1/1). To log a find on the cache: Coordinates given are false. To get credit for this cache you must find a Yellow Jeep (any model) and post its picture along with the GPS coordinates the picture was taken at. The more detail the better.

This cache was getting so many logs and had so many finds that is was dragging down the servers big time whenever it was included in a PQ, and ultimately forced the move of locationless to waymarking.org. Gc.com's current servers would probably have no issue with it.

As easy as most locationless caches were, it was not easy enough for some who chose to cheat. One cacher in particular photoshopped the same picture of his hand with GPSr in front of pictures taken from the web to log a large number of them all over the world. Sheesh!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hand.cgi.jpg 
Views:	616 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	553  
    Last edited by brdad; 11-18-2010 at 04:22 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Talking Hmmmm

I recognize that hand, but no idea about the jeep.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    I recognize that hand, but no idea about the jeep.
    that fence looks familiar....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I think I recognize the grass!

Could this be the fastest a thread has gone off topic?