vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking GPSr in "carry-on" luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Except that one is running on Windows CE and is useless for geocaching or anything else :P
    Sheesh! You're right, but I just grabbed a netbook at random as an example - certainly not making any recommendations.

Regarding batteries - you should have some in your devices in case they ask you to turn it on to prove it is what it is. They made me do that with my camera once and the batteries were dead. Luckily I had a spare set, swapped them out and turned it on, and they took the dead ones.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by SFTA2010 View Post
    Has anyone taken a GPSr onto a plane in a carry-on bag recently? I want to take mine when I go to see my grandkids over the holidays. Should I take out the batteries? I don't want to raise any issues that will delay me at the security screening.
    I travel light, with only a small carry-on or sometimes a backpack, to avoid a fee for checked luggage, and the hassle of carrying extra stuff.
    Thanks, for any feedback, SFTA2010
    Something else to consider, depending on where you are going, is to "tell" the GPSr where you are. Makes locking in on the Sats quicker.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I've never had a problem with carrying the GPS on the plane. Each airline has there own protocol regarding carrying GPS's so if you have any doubt just check out the individual airline beforehand. I loved the last time I traveled by air. I held the GPS at the window and tracked my flight at 33,000 feet. That's looks pretty cool on the altimeter and also traveling at 530 mph that was cool as well. I asked the stewardess if she minded and we struck up a conversation for a minute and she really was impressed with the accuracy. I think I might have generated some interest for her as well regarding geocaching. She said she travels all over the country and would love to do something in between stops when she had time to spare.
    The last few years, I've had my GPSr on every flight, fun to track. Keep in mind that most (or all, not sure) GPS units use pressure altitude, so it shows the "apparent" altitude in the cabin, not your actual altitude. Mine usually levels out around 6500-7000' even when we are over 30000 feet. You can still tell when you start to descend as they start adjusting the cabin pressure to line up with ground elevation.