vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Milestones

Default gsak count and milestones

I have tried to do more memorable caches for milestones but all it takes is a single deleted find by the CO or a double log by the cacher and your cache count gets messed up and different caches will show up as your "milestone" caches. I suppose you can do what Cano does on the day you log your finds, but I'm not sure how to change a find sequence well after the fact.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

You can force the FindStats macro to show a certain cache for a given milestone. Alternatively, you can copy all the logs for the day in question, then delete all those logs and re-log them in a sequence that fits your needs. I couldn't live with myself if I did the latter, I am very anal about logging my caches in order!
    Last edited by brdad; 11-22-2010 at 07:52 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I have tried to do more memorable caches for milestones but all it takes is a single deleted find by the CO or a double log by the cacher and your cache count gets messed up and different caches will show up as your "milestone" caches. I suppose you can do what Cano does on the day you log your finds, but I'm not sure how to change a find sequence well after the fact.
    I guess if you log one cache in the past to replace deleted log, this will shift other caches back, fixing your milestones.
    Moo

I am very OCD (or CDO if you need the letter in alphabetical order) about logging all my caches in order too. I have never had a log deleted with the exception of a note I posted so that has not been a problem. I have actually driven around in the dark caching when I knew I was going to Portland the next day so I could get The Fort Williams cache for #200.

We haven't made a point about specific caches for milestones (except for Tandemstoker's excellent milestone cache!), but starting at 400 (I think) I started printing out a milestone sheet and taking a picture of the rest of team ampmdp holding it at the cache site. We also treated ourselves to a 500-find geocoin, and I've got a 1000-find coin tucked away for the near future!

Like dubord207 mentioned, our milestones got messed up when our very first cache find was deleted! Turns out there was an ammo can that *wasn't* the cache in close proximity to the ammo can that *was* the cache. Several hundred caches later the CO let me know this and deleted my find.

I've had 2 logs deleted. One was because my log suggested that the final location of a puzzle cache was near to the cache described in my log. My error but I was surprised I didn't hear directly from the CO as I could have quickly changed the log. The second was a cache in Bangor that Di and I went for at this year's Beer and Wings event that we both knew we'd done a year ago. I sent the CO a PM to inquire why it had been deleted and never heard back.

I have only deleted ONE log on a cache of mine and it was after I sent a note to the logger suggesting he modify his needlessly nasty log. His response was complete with a way over the top and vulgar diatribe and that one only took a second for me to hit the delete key.

Occassionally I have received PM's from CO's requesting a modification of a log due to spoilers. That's the best way to do it if you have a problem with a fellow cacher's log. IMHO
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

I drove 50 or more miles to be FTF on a cache before work one day, came back home and logged it only to find the log deleted that night. Soon after the entire cache was deleted. Turns out the hider put the cache on his employer's land without permission and he was so afraid of getting caught he had groundspeak delete the cache completely.

I also changed a log from another cache from found to not found after being informed here in the forums it should have never been logged as a find anyway. It's so easy to click that found button!

The less the numbers matter, the less the milestones being correct matter. I do like to have a record of my attempts however, so I would post a note if I had to.

On the receiving end, however, I'll admit it is an honor to have my own cache intentionally selected as a milestone.
    Last edited by brdad; 11-24-2010 at 08:06 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

So far, the only "milestone" Pam and I have done was Tandemstoker's Milestone for our 400th. We saw it when we were close to 400, liked the idea and planned around it. Other than that, I doubt we'll do many "milestone" caches for our "00" caches because that's not really the kind of caching we prefer. We love going to get caches that have been published for a few days and no one has gone after. We did that just yesterday. Took a drive, practically to Canada, and got the 47th Delorme Grid for Martes. Nasty day, great cache.

I never pay attention to milestones . . . then again I'm not into this for the numbers.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Wink It used to matter more...

Back when I started I was more about finding a certain cache for an "00" milestone. After 1000 I didn't pay much attention till I hit 2000 at Geowoodstock 6 in California. All the ones I have since then have been wherever I was when it rolled around. Now I am thinking I might like to do something for 5000. I may try and do a special cache if it works out, but I won't go out of my way.

I am on the same page as Dave on the keeping the finds in order. I too have been know to delete and re-log if I mess them up. That is why GSAK works out so well for me in the record keeping department.
    Happy Trails!