vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Military Geo-Coin Tribute

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    Here is the link from GC.com which explains the "collectible" box. http://support.groundspeak.com/index...kb.page&id=250

If you own a lot of trackables, don't put them out to travel and don't want them to show in your inventory every time you find a cache - this is a very nice feature.
    Sheesh! The way I read the description, it seems like a "collectible" geocoin is one that can be taken from a cache a kept (added to THEIR collection)! The description for collectible says "The coin may be collected by ANOTHER player". Doesn't seem like it was intended as a designation for your own coins that you intend to keep...

Ok let me try to clarify. I just tested this out using the gcmaine TB which is owned by a separate account. Totally confusing.

1. On your profile pages exists a newer feature named Trackables Collection.
    2. You can add any coin to the Trackables Collection IF the details for that TB/Coin have the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked. You do not need to be the owner!
    3. Any TB/Coin in Your Trackables Collection are not shown in your inventory list and anyone looking at your profile cannot see what trackables you have in your collection. They can, however see that you possess the coin on the TB/Coin page however.
    4. Any coin which is part of a collection cannot be picked up or dropped, it can only be discovered, or given a note. This is true for both the owner of the TB/Coin as well as everyone else.
    5. If you own a TB/Coin which has the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked and someone else adds it to their collection, you can edit the TB/Coin page, unchecking the checkbox, which will allow you to grab that TB/coin from that persons collection.

So, if you want to set a TB/Coin out and do not want anyone to collect it, which keeps anyone else from picking it up or dropping it off, DO NOT check the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox.

If you own a TB/Coin which will never be moved by anyone but you, only discovered, it would be ok to check that checkbox. You will, however, need to uncheck the checkbox to move it.
    Last edited by brdad; 12-05-2010 at 08:38 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Ok let me try to clarify. I just tested this out using the gcmaine TB which is owned by a separate account. Totally confusing.

1. On your profile pages exists a newer feature named Trackables Collection.
    2. You can add any coin to the Trackables Collection IF the details for that TB/Coin have the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked. You do not need to be the owner!
    3. Any TB/Coin in Your Trackables Collection are not shown in your inventory list and anyone looking at your profile cannot see what trackables you have in your collection. They can, however see that you possess the coin on the TB/Coin page however.
    4. Any coin which is part of a collection cannot be picked up or dropped, it can only be discovered, or given a note. This is true for both the owner of the TB/Coin as well as everyone else.
    5. If you own a TB/Coin which has the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox checked and someone else adds it to their collection, you can edit the TB/Coin page, unchecking the checkbox, which will allow you to grab that TB/coin from that persons collection.

So, if you want to set a TB/Coin out and do not want anyone to collect it, which keeps anyone else from picking it up or dropping it off, DO NOT check the Make this Trackable collectible checkbox.

If you own a TB/Coin which will never be moved by anyone but you, only discovered, it would be ok to check that checkbox. You will, however, need to uncheck the checkbox to move it.
    BRDad - you did a great job explaining that as far as I am concerned - much better than I could have done at this time. All the coins and trackables I do not have circulating are clicked as Collectibles.......because I don't want them in my inventory. People used to put them in "false caches" - either unpublished ones in waiting or archived ones - that was the way around them being in your inventory. For folks who have hundreds of activated coins in their collections - this is a new option.

Putting a trackable in a cache - don't check the box.

Default Well....

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    Hi all, I am wondering if you can help me locate a reliable company to buy an Air Force geocoin from. Sadly, my beloved uncle, who I have posted about here before, is dying. He is a WWII vet, Purple Heart, was @ Pearl Harbor, survived the Death March of Bataan, was a pow for years, was nearby when the a bombs were dropped and was a multi decade soldier, retiring and honorably discharged as a Mst. Sgt. I would like to honor him with a geocoin and am wondering if you guys can steer me in the right direction. If there is a company you think I should/shouldn't purchase from and don't want to post here, please PM me. Thanks for your help during this difficult time.
    It was 69 years ago today that changed, forever, the lives of many. And although the country's policies at the time were that of isolationists, it brought us into WWII. Your uncle's generation, my father's and the countless others did nothing short of saving the world, really. Not my quote, but one that I've admired for a number of years. In your uncle's case, to survive Pearl, to surrender at Corregidor and somehow survive the march as well as internment is a statement of it's own.
    We are losing WWII vets at an amazing rate and with them their stories, their history. We all talk about thanking a vet when we see them, how about an extra pat on the back or going to the next aisle over at the store to particularly thank a WWII vet? You'll make their day!
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    It was 69 years ago today that changed, forever, the lives of many. And although the country's policies at the time were that of isolationists, it brought us into WWII. Your uncle's generation, my father's and the countless others did nothing short of saving the world, really. Not my quote, but one that I've admired for a number of years. In your uncle's case, to survive Pearl, to surrender at Corregidor and somehow survive the march as well as internment is a statement of it's own.
    We are losing WWII vets at an amazing rate and with them their stories, their history. We all talk about thanking a vet when we see them, how about an extra pat on the back or going to the next aisle over at the store to particularly thank a WWII vet? You'll make their day!
    This is so true. The night after the above pic was taken, he started to have incredible pain. I gave him a message from my neighbors, who are in their 70's and had hosted him when he was Grand Marshall of our 4th of July parade. They asked me to please thank him for his service, again, from them. I didn't expect a response, yet when I told him, he grinned!

Yes, today was a day we all should have taken a moment to remember what happened in HI. I heard on the news tonight, there were only 2 veterans who were living survivors of Pearl Harbor here in ME (? - not sure if this is accurate) and if so - it means through our friend dufzor we are fortunate enough to pass on our thanks directly. If the dear soul is still with us as I write this, I hope he knows there is a new community of friends, his niece's Geocaching friends, who want to extend a hearty "Thank You"!

And to all the other Veterans out there - and there are many - Thank You too!

Yes, today was a day we all should have taken a moment to remember what happened in HI. I heard on the news tonight, there were only 2 veterans who were living survivors of Pearl Harbor here in ME (? - not sure if this is accurate) and if so - it means through our friend dufzor we are fortunate enough to pass on our thanks directly. If the dear soul is still with us as I write this, I hope he knows there is a new community of friends, his niece's Geocaching friends, who want to extend a hearty "Thank You"!

My son-in-the-Navy is stationed at Pearl Harbor. I should have thought to ask him what was going on there today.

Go to GoogleEarth, and you can find his office at N21 20.568 W 157 56.495.
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 12-07-2010 at 08:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    My son-in-the-Navy is stationed at Pearl Harbor. I should have thought to ask him what was going on there today.

Go to GoogleEarth, and you can find his office at N21 20.568 W 157 56.495.
    Cool - thanks for sharing - hope they did something in Remeberance!

I am sure he knows, even though I didn't read this before I left. He was with it enough a couple days ago to understand something about the geocoin to commemorate his service. However, I saw him tonight and he will not be with us physically much longer. No responses to anyone all day, yet when I said the traditional, happy "Hi Unc" he muttered something! Then when I kissed him goodbye tonight, he opened his left eye, which was the side I was on. Just keep sending him prayers please that he can let go and move on with his journey. He's one tough member of the "Bastards of Bataan". (Sorry if this violates and posting rules. That is the name of the surviviors group.)

Thumbs up No Problems Here

Quote Originally Posted by dufzor View Post
    (Sorry if this violates and posting rules. That is the name of the surviviors group.)
    There's no problem with that as far as I am concerned. Your uncle deserves the respect that would allow "Bastards of Bataan".

As he passes from this world, his journey will never again be as difficult as the ones he endured in WWII.