vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank found logs

Default Blank found logs

Just recently I received a blank found log. What are your thoughts on this sort of thing? My first response is a note asking for a proper log. Then possibly a deleted log.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    Just recently I received a blank found log. What are your thoughts on this sort of thing? My first response is a note asking for a proper log. Then possibly a deleted log.
    As one who is not noted for extensive log entries, I'm inclined to ignore blank logs.

Perhaps it's an error - someone clicked on a button too early?

And it's rare that someone wouldn't even leave a "TFTC" entry. I'd ignore it. (But I'm also curious enough to check this person's other log entries to see if this is a pattern... )

If they found the cache and signed the log in the cache, it's a find in my book.

Can you leave a blank log? I just tried it and it would not let me. I could not even just use spaces.

I have left only a smiley before, but never nothing. If someone wrote a log in white text, you would not see it on the cache page (but would in your email.)

Seems odd, maybe there is a glitch in the system. Care to share the GCID?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Moo

Got a note back from the cacher and it seems there was some sort of glitch in the system. I believe it is corrected now.

I guess the biggest thing is that logs seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I am not a great log writer myself, but at the same time my average log length is decent.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    I guess the biggest thing is that logs seem to be getting shorter and shorter. I am not a great log writer myself, but at the same time my average log length is decent.
    We've had this discussion many times, and I think that a lot of people agree with me that the quality of the log entry is directly proportional to the quality of the cache.

With so many "park and grab" caches these days, I like the "log and dash" type of log entry. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    We've had this discussion many times, and I think that a lot of people agree with me that the quality of the log entry is directly proportional to the quality of the cache.
    It is a shame when it takes longer to write a log for a cache than it did for the placer to throw it out the window and mark the coords on the way by!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It is a shame when it takes longer to write a log for a cache than it did for the placer to throw it out the window and mark the coords on the way by!
    You don't need to do all caches, you can filter them by awesomeness rating and just do the best ones :P
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    You don't need to do all caches, you can filter them by awesomeness rating and just do the best ones :P
    Unfortunately, a large portion of the geocaching community think caches thrown on the side of the road are awesome. I can't rely on other people's ratings to determine what I consider awesome for a particular day.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Unfortunately, a large portion of the geocaching community think caches thrown on the side of the road are awesome. I can't rely on other people's ratings to determine what I consider awesome for a particular day.
    sure, that's why you use your own algorithm. First you assign a relevancy weight to the people based on how they like/don't like caches you like/don't like. Then you scale all ratings based on this weight and pick the best one. Similar to other recommendation engines for shopping, movies, music, websites...
    Moo