vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank found logs

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    sure, that's why you use your own algorithm. First you assign a relevancy weight to the people based on how they like/don't like caches you like/don't like. Then you scale all ratings based on this weight and pick the best one. Similar to other recommendation engines for shopping, movies, music, websites...
    Great idea. Do you have a list of all the cachers who have almost no desire to do series or cache run caches or caches with no purpose other than the numbers? There has to be at least 4 or 5 of us. Somewhere!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Great idea. Do you have a list of all the cachers who have almost no desire to do series or cache run caches or caches with no purpose other than the numbers? There has to be at least 4 or 5 of us. Somewhere!
    Add me to the list! LOL!

Default ....

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Add me to the list! LOL!
    Me too!!!!!!!!!!!

you can add me to that list. If I can't get my geo-pooch out of the jeep and go for a hike it's not a lot of fun for me. I have done a few park and grab's but they are mostly on the way to another cache or while waiting for my better half at a rest area. one thing I have learned though in the few weeks I have been on geocachingMaine is that there are a lot of reasons to enjoy geocaching. some like the tech side of it , some like the numbers , some the challenges , and some the relaxation that going on a good outing in the woods gives them. It's great that it is an addiction that can satisfy so many people's different obsessions.

caches with no purpose other than the numbers?

Stud Mill Road. A power run. That series had meaning for me other than numbers. 30 Years ago I grew up going to deer lake with my family. Back then you could not drive a car in there. Camping by the lake, exploring logging roads in the back woods of Maine. Seeing the wildlife and History of old mills out in the middle of the woods. Thanksgiving dinner cooked over a fire with snow on the ground. Those were all very happy memories for me and doing stud mill road brought back alot of those memories. It was much much more than a power run, probably why we did not get them all. Everyone has different taste and goals when it comes to geocaching but to generalize certain thing like a power run is just for the numbers.....well Its jut not a true statement for everyone. I enjoy a Hile through the woods to a spectacular view or great waterfalls just as much, Yet I have stopped at a gaurd rail on a road I have driven by over and over but could not see down the bak at a winding river flowing over the rocks. another view I would not have seen without a simple park and grab gaurd rail. That is the best thing about this game.....You never know what you are going to find unless you stop and look.

Quote Originally Posted by team barbieri View Post

Stud Mill Road. A power run. That series had meaning for me other than numbers. 30 Years ago I grew up going to deer lake with my family. Back then you could not drive a car in there. Camping by the lake, exploring logging roads in the back woods of Maine. Seeing the wildlife and History of old mills out in the middle of the woods. Thanksgiving dinner cooked over a fire with snow on the ground. Those were all very happy memories for me and doing stud mill road brought back alot of those memories. It was much much more than a power run, probably why we did not get them all. Everyone has different taste and goals when it comes to geocaching but to generalize certain thing like a power run is just for the numbers.....well Its jut not a true statement for everyone. I enjoy a Hile through the woods to a spectacular view or great waterfalls just as much, Yet I have stopped at a gaurd rail on a road I have driven by over and over but could not see down the bak at a winding river flowing over the rocks. another view I would not have seen without a simple park and grab gaurd rail. That is the best thing about this game.....You never know what you are going to find unless you stop and look.
    Now if geocaching could just teach me how to type I would be all set

Everyone has different taste and goals when it comes to geocaching but to generalize certain thing like a power run is just for the numbers.....well Its jut not a true statement for everyone.
    I am 100% in agreement with this. And I did my best in my statement to not connect power runs with caches just for the numbers. They can be two different things, and they can easily be different things to different people.

However, if there are two caches .1 mile from each other and I only have time to do one, and I know nothing else about cache A than it is either a power run cache, series cache, or a cache for only the numbers, I will choose cache B. It will not always be the best choice, but for me it is the cache with the best odds.

I always liked the SMR too, and do remember when the roads off from it were tough going. Living at Chick Hill, it was a 14 mile drive to the SMR, and it often took 4 hours, if we made it all the way at all. The last time I timed it it took me 25 minutes. There is a lot of nice country out there.

While I find this topic interesting, I am sorry to hijack the thread, sorry Gob-ler!
    Last edited by brdad; 12-10-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Stud Mill Road. A power run. That series had meaning for me other than numbers.
    We haven't been to this series yet, but from what we've heard, it's more than a power run. I like cache series' that are intended to "entice" people to a certain area. Getting out in the woods is, to me, always great. This series did just what it intended.

...Or the Charley Brown rating method: Find the ugliest, scrawny cache and find out what is truly interesting about that spot. You just never know what you might find if you change your perspective.
    The farmer gave permission to place the cache in the field, but the bull charges.

I have determined that my own awesomeness rating is very high :-)