vb:literal>

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: GC favorite points

And with all of this - I still think about What Geocaching did for me..............the Journey between dealing with Family Cancer and Living................

To some the above will mean a lot - to others you will wonder...........but really - this journey is what you make it............what you get from it personally, what you give back to it personally, and a ton more.

I am getting ready for a new journey in Geocaching and in filling out the application I realized - it's worth it! Cause this sport/adventure/journey - is worth sharing................

Points or no points - Geocaching can do a lot ~ or not, it is up to however you look at/play the game/sport!

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    If you could see all your logs you have written on one page with the map next to it, it would definitely help you to recall the caches
    Hey, there is actually such a thing. Go to http://helpmerecall.cano.sk , upload your zipped my finds pocket query and enjoy
    Moo

Thumbs up In the past.....

I have looked at the caches I have enjoyed and then at some of the other cachers who have found the same cache. Then looking into their recent finds I can usually find a few that I would like to do too. Now all I have to do is look at their list and the caches are right on one the page. Much easier for me. For me it is easy to find cachers who prefer the same type of finds as I do. Why, some of them are probably reading this post....

I'm not sure that the rate at which you earn points, is not too fast. I can't imagine that I will list 500 caches.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

I went through my caches on GC.com last night and assigned about 25 favorites. It was actually pretty fun thinking back on the experiences I had finding all these caches. I like the favorites idea. It may also give folks an incentive to be creative and try to earn some of those favorite points ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    I went through my caches on GC.com last night and assigned about 25 favorites. It was actually pretty fun thinking back on the experiences I had finding all these caches. I like the favorites idea. It may also give folks an incentive to be creative and try to earn some of those favorite points ;-)
    I just went through all my caches and spent all my points (need more), it was nice to recall some memories and fun stories
    Moo

Between the favorites and the souvenirs, it seems like Groundspeak is trying a bit too hard to catch the social networking bus, only to find it doesn't have exact change. One would think that those that are hooked on caching are hooked because of the experiences theyve had and the places theyve been. It used to be, people were happy with getting a smiley for finding a cache and it still comes up where people question where logging for a smiley ought to be deleted or not? Whats going to happen next? Well, as soon as specific badges or souvenirs are created, people are going to create local caches just to get those added to their profile and there are going to be arguments as to whether or not to delete a log to take someones badge away. I use the normal social networking sites for "check ins" and see that stuff take place with those sites as well. I wonder if polls were done as to whether people wanted these extras or not?
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

I could not agree more, MOTO.

I do remember a few polls in the early days on a few subjects, but now I think it some of it is they will cave to pressure of those that don't shut up, or to keep up with the 'competition', or do what makes them the most profit. And that is part of doing business, can't blame them for that, but it does not mean everyone should be in love with these new features.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I can certainly understand them trying to increase the usage of the site as well as get on the social networking bandwagon to try to increase awareness and revenue. When playing with "The app that shall not be named" (C:Geo for Androids) I noticed that it even had a "check in" option when logging the cache directly from the phone that would auto post a note to twitter and facebook. It definitely generated a few questions as to what caching was from some people who took up an interest and began caching themselves but I don't think I'd want to see notificiations everytime someone was on a power run. Honestly, would you like to see 1000 notificiations flooding your news feed on Facebook or Twitter as someone was doing the ET series or even 100+ while doing the SMR or Cars or any other large series? As the cacher, would you really want to take the time check in on every cache during a run like this espcially if you've already created stamps or stickers to avoid having to write? The technology is out there but doesnt always need to be combined. You know what they say...Too much of a good thing can ruin it...

I know its been discussed but if they are going to continue to integrate the technology, I fear that caching will become something like this....

You load the caches to your GPS and head out. All caches are now like WhereIGo's where you need to just get within a certain 3' zone for the cache to be claimed as a find. No more paper logs. As soon as you enter that zone, a find log is generated and automatically posted to the cache page, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Yelp, Foursquare, Gowalla, and any other "check in" site to let people know you made the find. Not only do you get a smiley, but you get a badge for finding a cache that day.

I can see a million different badges that can be generated which is crazy. Its all too much. When I do make time for caching, the only technology I want to be dealing with is my GPS and my camera. Otherwise I'm outdoors to enjoy the outdoors.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by masterson of the universe View Post
    I can certainly understand them trying to increase the usage of the site as well as get on the social networking bandwagon to try to increase awareness and revenue. When playing with "The app that shall not be named" (C:Geo for Androids) I noticed that it even had a "check in" option when logging the cache directly from the phone that would auto post a note to twitter and facebook. It definitely generated a few questions as to what caching was from some people who took up an interest and began caching themselves but I don't think I'd want to see notificiations everytime someone was on a power run. Honestly, would you like to see 1000 notificiations flooding your news feed on Facebook or Twitter as someone was doing the ET series or even 100+ while doing the SMR or Cars or any other large series? As the cacher, would you really want to take the time check in on every cache during a run like this espcially if you've already created stamps or stickers to avoid having to write? The technology is out there but doesnt always need to be combined. You know what they say...Too much of a good thing can ruin it...

I know its been discussed but if they are going to continue to integrate the technology, I fear that caching will become something like this....

You load the caches to your GPS and head out. All caches are now like WhereIGo's where you need to just get within a certain 3' zone for the cache to be claimed as a find. No more paper logs. As soon as you enter that zone, a find log is generated and automatically posted to the cache page, Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, Yelp, Foursquare, Gowalla, and any other "check in" site to let people know you made the find. Not only do you get a smiley, but you get a badge for finding a cache that day.

I can see a million different badges that can be generated which is crazy. Its all too much. When I do make time for caching, the only technology I want to be dealing with is my GPS and my camera. Otherwise I'm outdoors to enjoy the outdoors.

Your last Paragraph said it all - to heck with all the technology to things quicker, faster and whatever. I remember a day of caching with EMSDanel - taking the time to use both a GPSr and intergrate the use of a compass..........it was fun and excercised my brain. The camera too - a big thumbs up. To few folks take time to take pictures and share them with others. JMHO but hey, I am an older folk here................