vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: GC favorite points

I wish they had an alternate "Your Cache Sucks" point system as well....

I'd rather have them institute a minimum finds one cacher must have before they can ever place a cache...

Quote Originally Posted by CARoperPhotography View Post
    I'd rather have them institute a minimum finds one cacher must have before they can ever place a cache...
    Sheesh! He finally said something I can agree with! LOL!

Just like for ratings, using the number of finds is not a perfect method of determine one's ability to hide a decent cache. Some people could hide 50 decent caches without finding any, yet some people have thousands of finds and should never be allowed to hide a cache.

I'm not sure how you can fairly determine who should hide and who should not, but it would be nice if there was a way. I often say people should not be allowed to vote unless they can pass a simple test, like who is the current president, who is your current governor, color in the US on a blank map, etc... Perhaps something similar could work for cache placement. Unfortunately, this will likely never happen, either.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

And how would you start the game?
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    And how would you start the game?
    The game has started, so it would work. When gc.com started they were much more lenient with cache placements for that reason, vacation caches were allowed and there were minimal rules. After a while, it was easy to see vacation caches were more of a problem than a help to the game.

Once you have two rabbits, the issue is not how to start the rabbit family, the issue is how to keep the rabbit population from overpopulating.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The game has started, so it would work.
    Try to explain it to the people in Guinea or Liberia or Congo with no vacation caches allowed how great would it work for them. I would like to hear it too.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    Try to explain it to the people in Guinea or Liberia or Congo with no vacation caches allowed how great would it work for them. I would like to hear it too.
    Approvers are allowed to adjust the guidelines a bit. I would not be surprised if someone tried to place a cache in one of these areas and provided good reasoning as well as contact information with proof it could be maintained that some caches would get approved.

By the time Maine's first cache was placed, gc.com was already cracking down on their approval. I would gamble less than 5 caches were ever placed here by someone never expecting to return. I think the state has progressed well despite that.

Times have also changed in the fact that geocaching is a much ore mainstream activity now. Many more people are aware of it's existence, which makes the capability of a area without vacation caches to grow over time.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

Taking this conversation down a different road, how is everyone going to use these favorite points?

Some of my favorite caches are now archived, would you "waste" one of your favorite points on an archived cache so that you could have a list of your favorite caches, or would you only use them for active caches, so that other people could look for active caches you declare as a favorite?

Most of my favorite caches are great caches, so it makes it easy to favorite those. However, some of my favorite caches might have been mundane if not for conditions not connected to the cache, such as weather, people you were with, special day, etc.. It seems labeling these as a favorite is correct, but they may not necessarily be one I'd recommend to others?

I know it's just a word, but "recommended" might have been a better word to use than favorite. It sounds by definition gc.com intended this system to show recommended caches.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

I'm gonna "Favorite" all of the nano GRC's that BRDAD has placed, to start.