vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you want to elect a new advisory board?

"The time has come for Geocaching Maine members to decide whether they would like to retain the current board members for another term or if there should be a new election held to refresh some or all of the board members"

Help me out here: Are elections held whenever people feel like having them? Or do board members have specific terms, like 2 years. If there are specific term lengths, then it's really very simple. That person can run again or others can throw their name into the fray as well. Just like electing town selectmen. Stagger the terms....each year three people come up for re-election, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Help me out here: Are elections held whenever people feel like having them? Or do board members have specific terms, like 2 years.
    Brdad will remember better than I will, but as I recall, we established the board for a 2-year term, after which all board members could throw their names out for reelection, and anyone else interested could volunteer to be a candidate.

Seems to work for me...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Brdad will remember better than I will, but as I recall, we established the board for a 2-year term, after which all board members could throw their names out for reelection, and anyone else interested could volunteer to be a candidate.

Seems to work for me...
    http://www.geocachingmaine.org/index...rd_eligibility
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Advisory Board members terms shall be in two year intervals ending December of even numbered years, and will be up for review at that time.
    The current system was set up to not waste member's time if they were happy with the current board members. There is likely no need to hold elections every year, or even every two years for that matter since he board does not make life or finance altering decisions like elected government officials do. This preliminary poll allows the members to make that decision, but the entire board is up for review - excepting Rick as Bruce stated, since he has to have the final say in crucial site related decisions.
    Last edited by brdad; 12-23-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The current system was set up to not waste member's time if they were happy with the current board members. There is likely no need to hold elections every year,
    Now that we've got that established, I really see no need for elections this year as all the board members are respected cachers whose views are well known, and there is nothing going wrong with the site that I can see.

Default Yup

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Now that we've got that established, I really see no need for elections this year as all the board members are respected cachers whose views are well known, and there is nothing going wrong with the site that I can see.

Agreed. Especially the "nothing going wrong" part.

For some reason, this is sticking in my mind a bit, so if I'm wrong or off base a bit, someone please correct me or call me on it. Somehow I remember there being a bit of contention that there's virtually no representation on the board from the southern part of the state. By no means do I want to make this a "north vs south" type of discussion, but it might be nice to get some perspective from different areas of the state on some occasions.

I don't know anybody on the board personally, save for Andy (we went to Hampden Academy together, I was two years ahead of him, we were on the chess team and hung out in the same little clique together). Having said that, I have absolutely no problem with the way things stand now, as they seem to be running pretty smoothly, and I have no problems with anyone on the board or any of the members here.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

What do you define southern Maine as? Kaching Karen is from the Augusta area and Attroll is in Litchfield. At one time we had a board member from the Portland area. Currently 3 board members are in the Bangor area. There has never been a board member north of Bangor.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Portland area.
    Oscilating between remarkable brillance and sheer stupidity with amazing regularity.

Quote Originally Posted by NativeMainer View Post
    For some reason, this is sticking in my mind a bit, so if I'm wrong or off base a bit, someone please correct me or call me on it. Somehow I remember there being a bit of contention that there's virtually no representation on the board from the southern part of the state.
    I saw what Brdad said in response to this comment, and want to add that when the idea of an Advisory board was first floated, one prominent cacher from the "mid-coast" (Belfast?) area was actively involved in the planning/discussion as well. The board member we had from Portland resigned for personal reasons, otherwise would probably still be on the board.