vb:literal>

View Poll Results: Should we Retain an Advisory Board for GeocachingMaine.Org?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 82.76%
  • No

5 17.24%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Have or Have Not: Need an Advisory Board?

Default To Have or Have Not: Need an Advisory Board?

Since there seems to be a few people who are just plain against the Advisory Board even existing let's do a down and dirty poll here.

Vote for or against and let's see.

It should be noted, this is not an "Official" Poll. Once completed, Rick is still the owner of the site and he can choose to have an advisory board whether or not this poll indicates users want one.

Thumbs up I voted

Since the board has done no harm so why not keep it. Maybe some fresh blood will stir some new community outreach form it. (The Advisory Board) Not saying that past elected members weren't doing what was expected, just a new perspective perhaps. I myself try to get along with everybody. Some folks out there just don't want to be gotten along with I'm sorry to say. And no, I will not name any names on a public forum. If you feel I am talking about you personally, I apologize for not jumping into another name calling dual.
    Happy Trails!

The other option would be to farm out the advisory board to who ever McAfee farmed out their customer support to. Good grief. Over half an hour trying to explain that I'd formatted one PC to upgrade to 64-bit from 32. Finally got them to delete one activation from a 3-PC activation so I could reinstall my virus scanner.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Since the board has done no harm so why not keep it.
    That is perhaps the best question. Just what reason is there for not having an advisory board? The board members are not paid, it is not costing the members anything. The board does not secretly control caching standards or approvals. If Rick or myself or any member for that matter has a question they would still often consult trusted friends before addressing the entire site anyway - why not have a set group available?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

If the board is the best think in the universe that doesn't do any harm, why does it have to consist of just 4 people? Why not 10 or 500?

Or why to have just one board? If it's great and doesn't cost any money, let's have two boards, or twenty. Why would you want to have just one if it is so good?

I don't see any reason why we should limit any advisory or decision making just to 4 people and therefore I'm against it.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The board does not secretly control caching standards or approvals. If Rick or myself or any member for that matter has a question they would still often consult trusted friends before addressing the entire site anyway - why not have a set group available?
    So what does the board secretly control? I think Rick, you, or anybody else already have a group of trusted friends to consult any problems and having the board is not going to change it. If you want to consult anybody outside of your trusted friends why just limit yourself to the board and not ask everybody in this forum for better view.
    Moo

The board does not secretly control anything, it does not even openly control anything! When the board was first discussed, it was decided one group of 5 would be the number we would use, 4 elected and Rick. Any group can choose any number they like, that is what this group chose. We could always change the number of boards or members per board if there was a need. So to answer the question, 5 is not the magic number, it is our number. Some people choose to have one car, some people choose to have 5. There is no right or wrong, it is just their decision.

It is not mandatory that any member or moderator only consult the board, they can consult anyone. I have asked moderation questions to non-board members, and even to people who do not belong to the site. But it's nice they are there to ask when I do want to. On other occasions, members have contacted me with suggestions which I welcome as well.

There have been a few changes to the site which were presented to the board as opposed to the entire group because the issue did not need the entire site's input. Examples would be the addition of the photo gallery, the new articles menu, and the Pathtags. A larger group can argue their points for months and never come to a consensus. On matters of little importance, this is a waste of time, especially for issues like the articles menu which can be edited easily to adjust for future needs.
    Last edited by brdad; 01-30-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    The board does not secretly control anything, it does not even openly control anything! When the board was first discussed, it was decided one group of 5 would be the number we would use, 4 elected and Rick. Any group can choose any number they like, that is what this group chose. We could always change the number of boards or members per board if there was a need. So to answer the question, 5 is not the magic number, it is our number. Some people choose to have one car, some people choose to have 5. There is no right or wrong, it is just their decision.

It is not mandatory that any member or moderator only consult the board, they can consult anyone. I have asked moderation questions to non-board members, and even to people who do not belong to the site. But it's nice they are there to ask when I do want to. On other occasions, members have contacted me with suggestions which I welcome as well.

There have been a few changes to the site which were presented to the board as opposed to the entire group because the issue did not need the entire site's input. Examples would be the addition of the photo gallery, the new articles menu, and the Pathtags. A larger group can argue their points for months and never come to a consensus. On matters of little importance, this is a waste of time, especially for issues like the articles menu which can be edited easily to adjust for future needs.
    So if I came out with an idea for this site and the board neither find it important or find it important to consult the entire site, it's lost even the rest of the site would like it. Thanks for clarification. I don't have any other questions regarding the board.
    Moo

Quote Originally Posted by cano View Post
    So if I came out with an idea for this site and the board neither find it important or find it important to consult the entire site, it's lost even the rest of the site would like it. Thanks for clarification. I don't have any other questions regarding the board.
    For one, that's why you elect board members who want what is best for the site, secondly, you always have the option of bypassing the board and posting right to the forums as many members have, including myself.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!