• Don't have a kayak but would go if I could get ahold on one

3 25.00%
  • Don't have a kayak

2 16.67%
  • I am not interested

2 16.67%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Kayak kache event

Wow, having only kayaked 2 times and looking at the map, I don't think I'd want to do that all the way to Jewell. Long Island was what, 45 minutes by ferry? And there's still another 3 miles to go!

But, if the event is held, I'd of course see if I could improvise any way I could to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty
    Cant vote in the pole.
    me either...
    Silva, of the forest

Beneath you, feel the Earth.
    Above you, feel the Sky.
    Around you, feel the presence and the Power
    of the Trees!

So Rick,how do we vote....lol ?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by lefty
    Cant vote in the pole.
    Woops. Sorry about that everyone. I fixed it.
    Blazing Troll

Default Some other options...

At the event, we talked about Warren Island and Jewel Island and thought Jewel would be best because of the crossing at Warren can be a bit tough.

Bu, I forgot about a couple of other places that might be even easier than Jewel.

Swan Island (across from Richmond) is a great place. You can kayak to the island, but, if you don't have a boat, they will ferry your gear out to the island. They charge $8 a night and it is well worth it. We have to have less than 60 people

I know of another island, not far from Bath, that is privately owned and has a long history of local use. I'd rather not post the name or coords since it is only by the good nature of the owner that anyone can use it. It is a very easy and short trip.

Another posibility is Bo's Island. I have not been there yet, but there is a cache there and the cache owner mentions an overnight party that happens in the fall.

If we have a smaller group, 8 or less, then there are several other options.

I can go either weekend. Launching is nice from East End Beach, but you do need to park up on the side roads. There is no overnight parking at the launch. It's also not a beginner paddle from there.
    There is overnight camping on Little Chebeque and that's an interesting island. We once had to stay there rather than head out to Jewell because of the weather. Actually, both islands are a lot of fun to explore.
    Warren Island is also a nice lsland. There is a mile + crossing that can be a bit tricky, but the beginners in the bunch can cross on the ferry and then scoot over to the island.
    I have a spare 12' kayak. Good little boat, but not really made for ocean crossings. (Even though I have done it several times).

As of right now, both weekends are open. I have a big enough boat that I'd feel comfortable going to any island we pick.

You may want to rethink Jewell, espically if there are a few not used to the open water end of it. Ben Island in Quahog bay is nice (and sheltered) and does afford some interesting side trips. There are plenty of eagles and osprey to watch. You may want to contact MITA, Maine Island Trail Association for more ideas as they are the stewards for many of the islands open to the public along the coast.

Good point, Pooh, about inexperienced kayakers! What looks like only this far |<--->| on the map is a looooong way on the water! We've paddled around Newcastle, NH in the tidal areas, but never out in the open ocean. I like TAT's idea of having a ferry as a backup for people uncomfortable with ocean crossings, or someone with a power boat, at least. We don't own kayaks but could borrow a couple for the August date. I would be comfortable paddling in the ocean, and perhaps the kids but Donna might be wary.

In GSAK I did a search for all caches in Maine with the word "island" in the description. From Kennebunkport to Bar Harbor I count about 20 caches along the coast on roughly 15 islands without bridges to the mainland. Some of those, like Monhegan Island, are non-kayakable. I've done the cache on Little Chebague which was a lot of fun (and a lot of walking!), but have no knowledge of the conditions on the other islands.
    Last edited by Cache'n Jacksons; 06-20-2005 at 09:39 PM. Reason: typo

I could not find Bo's Island. Where is that?

Monhegan Island is over a 11 mile paddle in open water. I would not be in for that.

Swan Island is only 50 yards to paddle to from the launch that would not be a very long paddle.

My idea was to hit the islands in the Portland area with the caches and knock those out. Is there camping on Little Chebeque Island or Chebeque Island. That might be and option. I was thinking of trying to hit the following caches on that weekend.
    Peak's Island Rock Park
    Fort Gorges
    Wreck Cove
    We don't need no education
    Water Walker

This was just what I was thinking. We don't have to stick to this. Just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by attroll; 06-21-2005 at 02:52 AM.
    Blazing Troll