• Don't have a kayak but would go if I could get ahold on one

3 25.00%
  • Don't have a kayak

2 16.67%
  • I am not interested

2 16.67%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Kayak kache event

We don't have to go to Jewell Island. I think that there is nothing to worry about however for a couple of reasons. We will be in a group and we have a couple people that have been out ther ebefore on kayaks and we all have GPS's and know how to use them.

If someone can come up with another easy overnight paddle that we can get a couple of caches at then throw the ideas out here.

Another option is to just get together and kayak the 5 cahes in the Portland Bay and then have dinner together or something. This might even be a better option.
    Blazing Troll

Default Still like Jewell

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I think that there is nothing to worry about however for a couple of reasons...
    I agree with attroll.

There are a lot of other things that we will have in our favor: As a group, we have more options to help each other, We will not be far from land at any point. Most of the trip is in relatively protected water, The water will be cold, but not almost any self rescue can be completed before hypothermia is an issue.

In fact, the car ride to the launch is statistically more dangerous than the boat ride. We are just much more complacent about driving risks. By considering the risks, we are already way ahead on safety.

Hey ,I'm up for any type of kayak cache event. I just got my feet wet so to speak today. I met "K" in Gardiner and we paddled up to Brown's Island for the cache that is there. She was the last one to log that cache last August and I was the first one this year. I hadn't been kayaking in about 25 years or so( phew I am that old) and it was a great experience and an easy paddle even though it is about a mile and a half one way. I'm surprised it hasn't been visited only 6 times I think since 2003. I finally got this one off my closest list,thank you "K".
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-sys/cg...othermia_Table
    Here's a link on wet suits.

The route from East End beach is about 10-11 miles if we don't do Peaks Island. There is another launch on Cousins Island and from there it is about 7-8 miles. It looks a little more exposed tthan East End. Harpswell is probably half as far, but it sure llooks like a lot of open water. And, we'd miss almost all of the caches! I'm not sure about landings for the caches, does anyone who has been there know?
    Attached Files Attached Files

It is hard to see the route with all the blue cahrt info on the attachment that Tat posted. I have included another attachement with Topo that makes it a little clearer.

I agree with Tat. We will have a good group and we will always within site of land and the way Tat and I have charted it we will never be more then about 3000 yards from any land mass and most of the paddling would be skirting right along the sides of islands. If we all have GPS then we can put all the waypoints in ahead of time. This will help us too.
    I think leaving from Harpswell would be a much easier and quicker paddle but then we would not hit any caches along the way as I mentioned before. I am up for the leaving from East End Beach. The total distance according to my calculations would be right at about 13.5 miles stopping every 3 miles for a cache. Then one more three mile break right before we reach Jewell Island.

I think we should make this trip in August this way it gives us more time for planning and getting out an paddling in our kayaks before the trip and would also allow the Cache'n Jacksons to come along. What does everyone think of this plan?

Our biggest issue is going to find ournight parking for out cars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jewell trip.jpg 
Views:	553 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	42  
    Blazing Troll

Post Ocean/lake?

Has anyone said it HAD to be the ocean. Some of Maine's larger lakes affords safety and numerous caches. Sebago Lake area in So.Maine with camping at state park. Not a quiet trip but safer. I'm up for any trip we decide on.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    Has anyone said it HAD to be the ocean. Some of Maine's larger lakes affords safety and numerous caches. Sebago Lake area in So.Maine with camping at state park. Not a quiet trip but safer. I'm up for any trip we decide on.
    Your right. I have considered this more and have taked to Tat about it some. I think and he agrees with me that we should make this an easier and shorter trip. I am looking into Swan Island in Richmond. But I was wanting to do this at a place were there was a couple of caches we could all kayak to. This is not in writing yet. We are still open to suggestions.
    Blazing Troll

Post Deer Isle

Has anyone mentioned Deer Isle? There are plenty of caches. It's not far from land, also has land connection. The kayaking around the island would let individuals choose the amount of time spent paddling. And theres a campground. Tenting with launching access. It's not too far from either north or south.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt
    Has anyone mentioned Deer Isle? There are plenty of caches. It's not far from land, also has land connection. The kayaking around the island would let individuals choose the amount of time spent paddling. And theres a campground. Tenting with launching access. It's not too far from either north or south.
    We're not kayakers, but if we were, we'd vote for Deer Isle. Great caches, great water for kayaking, too.

Sheesh...

If only I were 20 years younger! LOL!

The last time RULOST2? and I went kayaking, it was probably 1978, in Belgium:

http://www.opt.be/informations/wallo...A/O/38169.html

Fantastic!

Default deer isle caches

if you came to deer isle to kayak, you could get 5 of my caches by water: oak point, shore acres, tennis preserve, crockett cove and mariner's park. (shore acres and tennis would be easier from the water - they are long walks!) the other 3 you could drive to before or after the kayaking
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"