vb:literal>

Thread: Private Message from "Engepeket"

Default Private Message from "Engepeket"

I've taken care of this guy...

(18 "new members" when I logged on this morning. Working on getting rid of them...)

Default Sheeeeeeeeeeeeshh!

What's up with these clowns? Is there a "nuclear option" where you can send them something back that mungs up their computers?

Thanks for your efforts Bruce. Too bad this has become epidemic.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

well i suppose you can look at it as job security......
    Thanks for all you do everyday
    Hey! Dont forget to submit your suggestions for the Ammo Can! It's your newsletter. Help to make it wonderful!! P.S. I apologize now for the typos and misspellings in my post.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    What's up with these clowns? Is there a "nuclear option" where you can send them something back that mungs up their computers?
    Perhaps the Advisory Board members could discuss this. I've been following the discussions on the "Stop Forum Spam" website, and this seems like a universal phenomenon each year around this time. There is apparently a software app that could be added to the vBulletin program that would check the IP of any "new member" against the StopForumSpam database. That would stop many spammers from even registering.

The way it works now, anyone is allowed to register on GCM.org, but they can't post in the forums until validated by me, Brdad or Attroll. And I take the additional step of blocking the IP address or ISP. Since we've been getting a lot of spammers from US ISP's, I only dare to block the one computer the spammer has infested so an actual cacher isn't blocked. In the case of a Russian, African or Cinese ISP, I'll block the whole thing.

I believe the new forum software upgrade has new and updated protections. I think we just have to ride this out until the upgrade and see what needs to be addressed after that.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    I believe the new forum software upgrade has new and updated protections. I think we just have to ride this out until the upgrade and see what needs to be addressed after that.
    I emailed Rick a few minutes ago with a link to an upgrade to the VBulletin forum software that should block a lot of spammers before they can register.
    We're catching spammers AFTER they register, but it's a lot of work. I think there have been 27 new spammers since last night...

I just hope this doesn't get to be too much work for you. I would hate to have to do it and you are doing a fantastic job.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.