vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Fairfield

Default Hello from Fairfield

Hello Cachers, my wife and I just joined the Geocachers community and logged our first find today, (Old 470) in Waterville . Based on the entries in the log book its a popular cache.
    I have a question on finding caches; what is the best way to train yourself to identify a cache? I've been looking at some of the micro cache holders on the web and it would seem that some would almost impossible to find. there has to be a technique to picking them out.

looking forward to many finds.

RattKat

Quote Originally Posted by RattKat View Post
    Hello Cachers, my wife and I just joined the Geocachers community and logged our first find today, (Old 470) in Waterville . Based on the entries in the log book its a popular cache.
    I have a question on finding caches; what is the best way to train yourself to identify a cache? I've been looking at some of the micro cache holders on the web and it would seem that some would almost impossible to find. there has to be a technique to picking them out.
    RattKat
    Welcome! I'm surprised that your first find was "Old 470" - most of us tried several times before we found that one, and many of us needed "phone a friend". LOL!

As for cache containers - experience is the only thing that will help you. Even experienced caches are stumped on occasion. But that's the fun of geocaching - finding new ways to hide caches, and learning as you go.

I saw your post on Old470 and was about to email when I see you already found this site. I usually try to welcome anyone that finds one of my caches as their first. Thanks for choosing my cache as your first!

Experience will be the best teacher. After a while, you'll be able to pick up subtle hints in descriptions and logs to help determine what style a cache may be as well as how it may be hidden. Of course, there will be plenty that trick you as well.

Welcome to the site and the addiction!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

I have to admit this was our second attempt at finding Old 470. We had stopped on a Sunday morning right after church and didn't find it. We looked at the clue that day and wanted to give it another shot. Brdad TFTH

If Old 470 was your first find then you are off to a good start on how to find caches. You will pick up on hiding techniques as you go but carefully reading the cache description and checking the attributes is a great start. If I find myself stumped out in the field I will sometimes read through the last few logs to and that can be helpful. Experience is really the best teacher. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

If you found Old 470 this early in the game......you're doing ok. Welcome to the forum and have fun. And.....there'll be an upcoming event in your area real soon. Consider attending.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

I was just thinking the same thing pm28570. Here is a link to the event GC2HKCJ which is in Windsor. This was our first event last year and we are going again this year.

Wow, I grow up just a few miles for Husseys Store. The wife and I will check the calendar and see if we can make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fins_Up View Post
    I was just thinking the same thing pm28570. Here is a link to the event GC2HKCJ which is in Windsor. This was our first event last year and we are going again this year.
    As well as WhereRWe's event in February. Bruce?
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

Most definitely would not miss that one. I have been waiting for it to post. We got a quilt last year as a door prize and my 6 year old son sleeps with it on his bed every night. Great event and you get all the good eats from Big G's.